Bomb vessel cross section - scale 3/8 or 1:32

I built all 5 of the riders and set them in the hull to check that they all fit. Those are not the real colors i just tinted them so they show up in the image.

View attachment 98056

my concern was if I glued the riders in place would I be able to slip the lower section of the clamp between the rider and the hull? you can see the clamp is not sitting flat along the hull which made fitting a little difficult. Once the riders are glued in it would make it very difficult to sand the hull so the clamp would slip in place.

View attachment 98058

i found out if i put the clamp in and the riders it was sort of a wedge effect and the clamp pushed the rider up and away from the frame floor.

View attachment 98059

a little sanding of the hull was needed to insure everything fit as it should.

View attachment 98057

Once i felt confident everything would fit my approach was to set the two end riders in place with the clamp. then i can add the remainder of the riders and make slight adjustments if needed.

View attachment 98061

View attachment 98062

riders and clamps were all glued in at once. I switched from the fast setting super glue to titebond wood glue which gives me pleanty of time to make adjustments.

View attachment 98063

Dave: I've got a question. Why don't the all floor riders directly overlie the frames? The fore most rider sits partially on both frame 2 and frame 3. The aft-most rider overlies frame 9.. but "hangs over" the space between frame 9 and frame 10. The other three are symetrical over the frames. Any reason for this?T

Dave: I've got a question. Why don't the all floor riders directly overlie the frames? The fore most rider sits partially on both frame 2 and frame 3. The aft-most rider overlies frame 9.. but "hangs over" the space between frame 9 and frame 10. The other three are symmetrical over the frames. Any reason for this?
T

i went back and looked at the model and all the riders do sit directly on the frame there is no overlap of the space between the frames. Maybe it is just the angle of the shot that makes the riders look like they overlap.
Show me what you are looking at

Actually, Dave, I was looking at the plans. It appears that the floor riders aren't laid out symetrically. You can also see this if you measure the distances between mortises in the mortar pit deck clamp. Here are cutouts of the keelson ,with the rider locations marked, paired with a diagram of the disposition of frames. The arrows show the most egregious mismatches! Just curious as to why they did it this way?

rider.jpg

The foot of the frames need to be custom notched to fit the floor riders. See page 32 of the plans. They should sit flush as Dave indicates. Hope this helps.

right you do have slight adjustments as you build the support for the mortar. I moved the riders because my thinking is the riders purpose is to give support to the frames and not the air space between the frames.

Back