Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 - Cross Section - 1:32 Scale - Scratch Build by DocBlake [COMPLETED BUILD]

Precision engineering in hardwood !! Very impressive.

I'll bet that if your model was scaled up to full size it would be more accurate than the original (if that makes sense). Which I suppose begs the question - should our models replicate the inaccuracies and "bodges" that would inevitably have occurred in the shipyard?

Thanks, guys!

I installed all the hanging knees, lodging knees and carlings from the aft end of the section to the forward edge of the mortar pit. I'll add the ledges to finish this part of the deck before adding the beam arms and the rest of the deck framing.View attachment 222657View attachment 222658View attachment 222659
It is too bad that some much of your precise work may be obstructed from view with newly added elements. You will know that they are there. Beautiful work to see. Is that a Proxon DB 250 lathe that I see? I bought one two months ago and it serves my small needs as long as I keep the cutting tools sharp. You obviously have sharp tools and equipment for your precise edges and corners. Rich

Beautiful build and first rate workmanship!

I built this (actually almost finished) as my first attempt at scratch building (1/36 scale).
It was a great experience and the large size made it easier for my shaky hands.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but thought I'd put in just one shot of mine.

Regards, Dave M

IMG-0260.jpg

Very nice job, Dave! Beautiful work. Please post more photos! We all learn from each other. The more models out there, the more ideas we can share. I'd love to see you post a build log!

I'm curious. I assume you used Jeff Staudt's plans. Why did you choose 1:36 scale? Kind of odd! That works out to 1/3" = 1'. Mine is 1:32 scale, or 3/8" = 1'.

I posted this a while ago, and I think this is how you got to 1:36. (Not trying to be a jerk here; just a point of information that can be confusing).

I've seen this post:
"If plans are 1/48 scale (1/4") enlarge to 200% to get 1/24 scale (1/2"). Enlarge to 150% to get 1/36 scale (3/8")."

While this seems logical, it is actually mathematically incorrect! 3/8" = 1' is actually 1/32 scale, not 1/36!
There is a formula to calculate scale:

Equation: X x Y = 12
scale = 1 / X, where Y = fraction of an inch equal to one foot.

Example: If 3/8" = 1', then Y = 3/8
3/8 X = 12
X = 32 Scale = 1/32

This works for integers too. 3" = 1' is 1/4 scale.

2" = 1' is 1/6 scale.

Dave,

I did indeed use Jeff Staudt's plans.
To be quite honest, I don't really remember how I came to 1/36 scale.
My mathematical skills are somewhat lacking.
I did use the 150% enlargement of the 1/48 scale drawings.
I went and measured the length of my model and low and behold, 10.75" (just as your intro stated).
Looks like it's 1/32 scale after all. I guess you're never to old to learn.
Thanks for the explanation.

A little bit of history on my build.
I started it in 2013 or so, and got part way through the frame builds.
Life then got in the way.
Some 7 years later, a home renovation, home sale, move and retirement, I set up shop again.
I was trying to decide what I wanted to do with my retirement and rediscovered model ship building.
There was so much more info available now and it took me a while to come back up to speed.
My plans were nowhere to be found, bits and pieces scattered in many places and tools to resurrect.
Fortunately I was able to get the plans pdf from Winston.
Waiting on a wood turner friend to return for some help with turning the cannons and mortar.

No build log due to lack of photos during construction and a bad memory. It just wasn't part of my thought process.

I do love cross sections!

I've included a few more photos

IMG-0239.jpgIMG-0263.jpg

Dave,

I did indeed use Jeff Staudt's plans.
To be quite honest, I don't really remember how I came to 1/36 scale.
My mathematical skills are somewhat lacking.
I did use the 150% enlargement of the 1/48 scale drawings.
I went and measured the length of my model and low and behold, 10.75" (just as your intro stated).
Looks like it's 1/32 scale after all. I guess you're never to old to learn.
Thanks for the explanation.

A little bit of history on my build.
I started it in 2013 or so, and got part way through the frame builds.
Life then got in the way.
Some 7 years later, a home renovation, home sale, move and retirement, I set up shop again.
I was trying to decide what I wanted to do with my retirement and rediscovered model ship building.
There was so much more info available now and it took me a while to come back up to speed.
My plans were nowhere to be found, bits and pieces scattered in many places and tools to resurrect.
Fortunately I was able to get the plans pdf from Winston.
Waiting on a wood turner friend to return for some help with turning the cannons and mortar.

No build log due to lack of photos during construction and a bad memory. It just wasn't part of my thought process.

I do love cross sections!

I've included a few more photos

View attachment 225030View attachment 225031
you could easily start your building log just starting with the actual status ....... would be very interesting

Back