Bonhomme Richard 1/48 - Plan by Jean Boudriot / myself

Sorry my friends. This project is a big challenege for everybody. To build the model for me. To read my english for you. I hope you can understand this words and the sense behind it.
I am a beginner and this will be me 2,5 project. My first project, the Gjoa, i finished last month. My second project, the Santa Ana, i have interupted
because i am insatisfated with the orginality from the model. I tried to modifiy the Kit with the orginalplan, baut there are so many errors in the kit.
The plan is now to build a new hull which ibased on the original plan. i think for this step i need more experience, beacause a lot of details, i need to resaerch
and to draw. To learn this step i descide to build ship only from the plan.
I will start the Bonhomme Richard now. This project isnt for beginners, but sometime you need to break the rules to move forward. I will do this now.
But I don´t start with 0. I have a lot of month with reasearch an planing this project. I bought a lot of machines for this project. I tried to learn the theoretical
aspects from this kind of hull construction. What i need is now practice.

In the frist step i milled the first pieces from the keel an i started with the Forefoot an the. Sorry, maybe the term ar´nt correct. I try to learn the correct terms
with the 74-Gun-Ship Book from Jean Boudriot.

The forefoot seem more comlex than he is. Its smole to mill the linear sufaces. The problem are the convex and the concav curves and the fitting between two pieces.
In one or two pieces you have a line and a curve togehter, which is more comlicated. I sand this aras with a paper and a spindle grinder but to get a good result need to much time.
I will try to saw the curves with a little jigsaw. I get the tip from a another forum and seems that this is the way to buuil pieces like this.
So far so good. I hope anybody find this posting interesting and can learn from my failures.

41700976_569177346833790_5822017397397127168_o.jpg41853864_569177336833791_5128056501767766016_o.jpg
41776437_569496676801857_1743970753281261568_o.jpg41868381_569496840135174_2359703677221994496_o.jpg
41854132_570020866749438_136027317980889088_o.jpg41859319_570020910082767_855008236355452928_n.jpg

Good luck with your build. I will also be starting this in the new year when I have finished off my current build
Hallo and welcome to our forum.......off course we can not wait until you start the Bonhomme Richard.......we all hope to see before as apatizer your built of the Jacinthe ;)

Oliver, @Olivers Historic Shipyard ,
any updates of your built? we hope, that you are still working on this model?

After long time i looked the plans for the Bonhomme Richard. I interupte my project one year ago an i will do a new restart in hardeware in four years. The plan is now to messure the Waterlines and to fill it in a Excelsheet. I have selcted the waterlines for the masterview because he gives me more information than the bodyplan. With this coordinates i will start to create the hull on CAD. I try to build the Bonhomme Richard on CAD side by side with my real building from the La Belle. But the building of the little La Belle has absolutly priority. From my experience from the CAD project La Belle i know that i don´t need to spend too much time on CAD at once. Its too exhausting for me. The framework and the size form the BHR is more bigger than from my La Belle. Its good to start early without any preasure. But Pino has other ideas with the plan...

1573379736397.png

Bravo Oliver.Now I have a massive amount of projects including Santa Ana you mention but I wouldn't want my head filled with two POF projects at the same timeo_OI know what you mean though,it does allow you time to slowly chip away at the hull form in CAD whilst working on La Belle.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I startet the Santa Ana from AL 2 years ago. With her i learned that i am the histrorical builder who looks deep behind the planks. I compared the kit with the original plan and i find nearly nothing what combine. In the first step i needed to modify the kit but there are to much differences to the real plan. I interupted the building.
The BHR i started after the Santa Ana, but my skill wasn´t high enough for this kind of project. The La Belle is my test project to get all the nescesary skills für POF. I don´t will start two POF-Project. Its too much input, too much details, and too much knwoledge from two different epochs. And too little progress in the building if you dance on two weddings the same time. Who hunts two rabbits the same time will catch nothing.
But start the project on CAD is a good idea. Its a long process and with more time and less pressure it´s better to get a good result on CAD.

Last edited:
looks nice Oliver I love cad work I been stuck this year with family health issues and havent had time to do crap. if you need any cad help just yell as this is on my to do list. now winter here hopefully things at work calm down too. I get abt 2 hrs to myself a day the rest day is spent at work or babysitting father in law on my days off as he cant get around any more and keeps falling down.

Thanks Joseph,

i will build on CAD only the timberplans for my own construction in wood. I will do this the same way like my La Belle. I have 21 years fulltime experience with Catia, and the work doesn´t will be too different to the Belle. The most complicated part is the hull outside and inside. But thank you for you offer to help. If i need any support i will remember Thumbs-Up Thumbs-UpThumbs-Up. CAD needs time. Two hours runs like nothing and the evening seems every day too short. I know the problem.

Last edited:
Hallo Oliver, sorry for hijack your topic for this
Good luck with your build. I will also be starting this in the new year when I have finished off my current build
Hallo @noelcolledge ,
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
PS: Hope, that you managed it to finish your actual project of your Scratch build La Jacinthe (would like to see this model - a great drawing set), and hope to see your
Bonhomme Richard growing hopefully in a building log from the beginning -> would be great if you share this with us!

Thank you @Uwek ! I´ve not seen this. Sorry.

Some little progress on my Bonhomme Richard.
The Sections are measured and digitized. The height of the decks and the Loadwaterline as well. The Hull is quick and dirty and needs a lot of hours of work to smooth.
Below is the little shy La Belle.

Bonhomme Richard.JPG

Last edited:
Back