Book review Book Review: "DANSKE ORLOGSSKIBE 1690-1860, Konstruktion og dekoration" by Bjerg, Hans Christian & John Erichsen

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Book Review:
DANSKE ORLOGSSKIBE 1690-1860,
Konstruktion og dekoration

by Bjerg, Hans Christian & John Erichsen

translation of the title:
Danish naval ships 1690 – 1860
Construction and Decoration

82535 82534

This set was published on 1980 by Lademann

heavy two volume set (appr. 5kg) , large handsome format (43cm x 30cm),
attractive decorated blue cloth, in original slipcase, title on front board (a large heavy set).

Content and description of the two volumes

Volume I

Text, 205 pages, 204 figs (71 in colour), endpaper illus.
With a 10 pages English Language summary at the end of this volume.

Volume II

Plans, 91 plans (including 2 large foldouts), most plates highlighted in colour, endpaper illus. AJS: A fine handsomely produced work

Volume II features 91 vessels in highly detailed, double-page line drawings, many of which are in full-color; with triple-page foldouts as well; statistics of each vessel are in both Danish and English. Published in dark blue cloth boards without dj and in Elephant Folio format; boards have elaborate stamped design of ornamental ships's stern on front board

This book describes the ships belonging to the navy of the Dual Monarchy of Denmark-Norway (until 1814) and Denmark from 1690-1860, the period when sailing ships were at their zenith. The first part, on the construction of the vessels, was written by Hans Christian Bjerg, naval historian and a keeper of the Record Office, Copenhagen. It deals with shipbuilding at Holmen, the Naval Dockyard at Copenhagen, and the chief constructors to the navy and ship designers who worked there. The second part concerns the decoration of the vessels and by an art historian, John Ericksen, who is curator of the Copenhagen City Museum. He gives an account of the artists and craftsmen who carried out the decoration and the work which was done in the sculptors' workshop at Holmen. Their research is based on a study of the abundant archives of the Danish navy, which include a very large and valuable collection of drawings dating back to about 1690, and also the collections of the Orlogsmuseet (Naval Museum), Copenhagen, which contains many ornament and other ship models. In both sections of the book comparisons and parallels are drawn between the whole body of material, and reference made to conditions and fashions abroad when they throw light upon what was taking place in Denmark-Norway and Denmark in the field of ship construction and decoration. (10pp English language summary at end of text volume).

Look Inside of Volume I

82543 82544

82545 82546

82547 82548

82549 82550

82551 82552

82553 82554

82555 82556

82557 82558

82559 82560

in the following post you can find the content of the second wonderful volume

Book Review:

View attachment 82535View attachment 82534

attractive decorated blue cloth, in original slipcase, title on front board (a large heavy set).

Volume I

View attachment 82541

Volume II

Plans, 91 plans (including 2 large foldouts), most plates highlighted in colour, endpaper illus. AJS: A fine handsomely produced work

Volume II features 91 vessels in highly detailed, double-page line drawings, many of which are in full-color; with triple-page foldouts as well; statistics of each vessel are in both Danish and English. Published in dark blue cloth boards without dj and in Elephant Folio format; boards have elaborate stamped design of ornamental ships's stern on front board

This book describes the ships belonging to the navy of the Dual Monarchy of Denmark-Norway (until 1814) and Denmark from 1690-1860, the period when sailing ships were at their zenith. The first part, on the construction of the vessels, was written by Hans Christian Bjerg, naval historian and a keeper of the Record Office, Copenhagen. It deals with shipbuilding at Holmen, the Naval Dockyard at Copenhagen, and the chief constructors to the navy and ship designers who worked there. The second part concerns the decoration of the vessels and by an art historian, John Ericksen, who is curator of the Copenhagen City Museum. He gives an account of the artists and craftsmen who carried out the decoration and the work which was done in the sculptors' workshop at Holmen. Their research is based on a study of the abundant archives of the Danish navy, which include a very large and valuable collection of drawings dating back to about 1690, and also the collections of the Orlogsmuseet (Naval Museum), Copenhagen, which contains many ornament and other ship models. In both sections of the book comparisons and parallels are drawn between the whole body of material, and reference made to conditions and fashions abroad when they throw light upon what was taking place in Denmark-Norway and Denmark in the field of ship construction and decoration. (10pp English language summary at end of text volume).

View attachment 82542

Look Inside of Volume I

View attachment 82543 View attachment 82544

View attachment 82545 View attachment 82546

View attachment 82547 View attachment 82548

View attachment 82549 View attachment 82550

View attachment 82551 View attachment 82552

View attachment 82553 View attachment 82554

View attachment 82555 View attachment 82556

View attachment 82557 View attachment 82558

View attachment 82559 View attachment 82560

View attachment 82561

in the following post, you can find the content of the second wonderful volume
I have them both. They very nice Drawings etc, but unfortunately it is only in Danish- I am Danish born, so no problems for me. I bought them in the "Orlogs Museumet" in CPH for aboutb 25 years ago.

Where is this book (both volumes) available for purchase?
Janos
Morning: I believe, that they still -if not run out - can be bought thru the Danish Nany Museum "DET DANSKE ORLOGSMUSEUM in Denmark. Actually, I do not know the exact situation today - they have changed location quite a few times over the Years- I have not been in Denmark in about 16 years, so I have lost the location, but it is in the Net.

Morning: I believe, that they still -if not run out - can be bought thru the Danish Nany Museum "DET DANSKE ORLOGSMUSEUM in Denmark. Actually, I do not know the exact situation today - they have changed location quite a few times over the Years- I have not been in Denmark in about 16 years, so I have lost the location, but it is in the Net.
I do not think, that this book set is still available at the museums in Copenhagen.
The Maritim museum closed some years ago, and most of the models etc. are now part of the so called Krigsmuseum (war.museum), which I visited last year. See herefore my Topic:

I was also a longer time in the museum shop and did not see this set!
I bought my copy maybe 10 years ago via ebay (I think)

Book Review:

View attachment 82535 View attachment 82534

Volume I

View attachment 82541

Volume II

View attachment 82542

Look Inside of Volume I

View attachment 82543 View attachment 82544

View attachment 82545 View attachment 82546

View attachment 82547 View attachment 82548

View attachment 82549 View attachment 82550

View attachment 82551 View attachment 82552

View attachment 82553 View attachment 82554

View attachment 82555 View attachment 82556

View attachment 82557 View attachment 82558

View attachment 82559 View attachment 82560

View attachment 82561

in the following post you can find the content of the second wonderful volume
Zoly got vol 1.vol 2 to Italy and a copy of Holsteh to Norway-ALL FREE EXCEPT except shipping cost. still missing some
Hello Uwek, would you mind to display page 37 of the 2nd volume for me, as I'm building the Norske Love. Thank you.
i HAVE OVER THE ( 59 ) BUILD NORSKE LOVE 5 TIMES, AND HAVE HUGE AMOUNT OF iMAGES ETC -PLUS 200)

00.jpg01 Norske love 1.jpg

thanks Uwek.
El capi,is your model from Billing Boats or a scratch built ? I was told by another modeler building the Norske Love that this model is not entirely accurate, it is a mix of a NL built at the end of the 17th century and of one built around 1760. B.B. didn't bother too much for an exact replica of the plans.
Being the sister-ship the Printz Friderich, I would assume that both plans would be more or less the same.

thanks Uwek.
El capi,is your model from Billing Boats or a scratch built ? I was told by another modeler building the Norske Love that this model is not entirely accurate, it is a mix of a NL built at the end of the 17th century and of one built around 1760. B.B. didn't bother too much for an exact replica of the plans.
Being the sister-ship the Printz Friderich, I would assume that both plans would be more or less the same.
tHE ONE FROM THE iMAGE WAS MY 1tH BUILD 1976-77, JUST AS FROM THE KITSorry for the Capital letters. Since my builds are generally a mix of Scrast building apart from the kits. Why. A simple reason: I have never had expensive Tools -I got my 1Th Proxcon as late in 1998- so I mainly use mostly only the Laser cut parts, and then I build my way- not the following instruction fully, as they are mainly wrong. FOR example I never insert the Deck from starts, as all instructions Manual are saying. I do not build anymore, but when I was active, I was lucky to have one of Spain's best Hobby Shop for ship buildings - not only Billing Boats. I will- I am sure to have found many lousy parts, which one better -making a copy first -gets some other woodsTHe Bow part and Stearn are shit-.I have over 200 Images and some full build from others in my computer. if interested send me a mail on PEANDERSEN@TELEFONICA.NET SO i CAN MAKE A PENDRIVE FOR yOU

Hello Uwek, would you mind to display page 37 of the 2nd volume for me, as I'm building the Norske Love. Thank you.
Sorry that you had to wait until I am posting the content for the Norske Love - Hope that this information are helping....
What I realized is the fact, that she was built by the same shipwright like the Prinz Friderich - shipwright of both 70-gun ship was F. Krabbe
Only that the Prinz Friderich was launched 4 years earlier.....

IMG-4779.jpg

IMG-4778.jpg

IMG-4774.jpg

IMG-4775.jpg

IMG-4776.jpg

IMG-4777.jpg

Thank you very much Uwek. Yes, this is exactly what I was expecting. Since the plans of Printz Friderich are more accessible and the Norske Love is the sistership of Printz Friderich, I guess this means that it is legitimate to use the plans of Printz Friderich to finish the Norske Love down to the last detail. The plans of the NL that Billing Boats provided with the model are very generic and incomplete in my opinion, and it is very difficult to find any information on the internet regarding the making of Danish ships of that time. Until you showed up that book that I absolutely want to acquire now. If anyone has informations on the Danish Navy of the 18th century, specially regarding the colours they used back then on the ships would be very much appreciated.

Back