Book review Book Review - Old Ironsides -“Eagle of the Sea” The Story of the USS Constitution by David Fitz-Enz

When I decided to get back into modeling in May 2018 I started with the 1/96 scale USS Constitution by Revell. This was quite a challenging build to start with and while I finished it and learned a tremendous amount it spurred my interest in building wooden models and also to learn more about the Constitution’s history. I grew just north of Boston and visited the Constitution many times as part of school field trips but I did not know much about the ship’s history or roles it played in the development of the US Navy. This book is a good read on how the Constitution and its sister ships the President and the United States came to be built and the role played during the War of 1812 and other non war related missions the Constitution was sent on. The book also details the events around the Constitution’s three major engagements during this conflict, and the numerous efforts of US citizens to save the ship from destruction. If this topic is of any interest to you I believe you will enjoy reading this book. 31FF4896-460B-47A7-A9FB-138F5FCF4805.jpeg

Hi Barry,
I as well am getting back in to modelling after a long spell , I built "Old Ironsides" before when I was in Germany with the British Army, I built it as a form of relaxation after taking young soldiers driver training ,I was a Driver Maintenance Instructor (DMI) . I had problems with the ring bolts snapping when when I took up the strain on the rigging so, to get round this I used very small split pins instead it involved a lot of drilling . To stop he ship tipping over I used Centurion track pins as ballast in the hull. I used a book that gave me all the information I needed ,it was called Anatomy of the Ship. I'll try and lay my hands on the your book , I've never seen the ship myself , only HMS Warrior & HMS Victory.
yours
Niallmhor

Back