Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

THE PERIOD SHIP HANDBOOK 3
by Keith Julier

period_ship_handbook3-360x5051.jpg

• Paperback: 190 pages
  • Publisher: Nexus Special Interests; UK ed. edition (25 May 2000)
  • Language: English
  • Product Dimensions: 21 x 0.8 x 29.7 cm

Synopsis:

From the simple to the sophisticated, a detailed look at the making of ten new static model ship projects which demonstrate the transition from kits to scratch building. Chapters dedicated to the building of each vessel lead the model maker through the various phases of construction, advising on both the methods and procedures required to build models up to exhibition standard. The range of subjects extends from the simple Bounty's Jolly Boat to HMS Bounty itself. The huge San Felipe is representative of the Spanish warship of the late 17th century, and the 1:48 scale Viola takes the modeller into the fascinating world of early twentieth century American whaling. A later chapter summarises rigging terminology and modelling techniques - that part of the building process that unjustifiably deters many from delving into the most satisfying hobby of static model sailing ships.

Specification:
297 x 210 mm, 190 pages, 10 colour photographs, 245 black and white photographs, 8 scale diagrams and line drawings

Contents: (the producer´s name and scale added by myself)

HMS Bellona 74-gun ship (Corel, scale 1:100)
HMS Unicorn (Corel, scale 1:75)
english merchant Brig Portsmouth (Mamoli, scale 1:64)
See Ewer Elbe 1895 (Constructo, scale 1:52)
San Felipe 104-gun ship (Panart, scale 1:75)
HMS Bounty's jolly boat (Artesania Latina, scale 1:25)
HMS Victory cross section (Corel, scale 1:98)
Pride of Baltimore II (Model Shipways, scale 1:64)
Armed Transport HMS Bounty (Amati, scale 1:60)
The American whaling brig Viola
Another Look at Rigging

It was seeing builds by Mr Julier in Model boats that got me to buy my first kit. Great series of books I got all three.

Back