Books for building ??

Tony P

Staff member
Le Rochefort Moderator

I am looking for a few 2 or 3 books you guys and gals can recommend for the neophyte to the wooden ship. Maybe if I get some reading in Ill finally move and get going into this unknown world !

Tony

Hello Tony:
This link will take you to a page where they rate several models by skill level: http://site.nature-crafts.com/skill_level.htm
If you click on the first on: Chesapeake Bay Flattie, it will take you to the page that talks about the kit. If you go down the page, there is a place to click on to see the manual. By clicking on that you can actually look at and read the manual for this kit.
At the easy level, the manufactures want you to be sucessful so the instruction booklets assume you know nothing about the hobby or any construction technics.
Ben Lankford also makes a book called "How to Build First-rate Ship Models from Kits".

Gary thanks I remember you gave me this link in the past, great site as it does explain the instruction issue. I have a big concern there, I'd like clear instructions in English, from what I see Model Shipways is about the only maker with complete english instructions. What other kit makers offer english instructions that you know of ?

Thanks Tony

All the companies I believe make instructions in usually four languages. English, French, Italian and Spanish are the usual choices. The more difficult the level, the more they assume you know and the instructions become plan clarifications only at high levels.
Artesania Latina have pictures of the actual step which can be beneficial and almost necessary when first starting this hobby.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Rating-of-Wooden-Model-Ship-Kit-Manufacturers&id=4463448 is a site that talks about the different makers and share their strength and weeknesses.
This field is like anthing else. You get what you pay for. There is a lot of great kits that are reasonably priced. Look for something that would interest you and just go for it.

Thanks Gary, this helps. yes indeed Im going to just jump in. soon I am hoping.

Tony

Back