Bottom paint

Hi guys and gals! I know that at sometime in the 18th century hulls were covered with "tallow". I'm wondering what they were covered with on smaller craft? About 1800-1825? Also, is there a way to learn how to research things like this? I cast around but can't find the resources that some apparently can. ???

The Swift. They want me to use wipe on poly but it seems to me they probably used some kind of bottom paint. I have the Armed Virginia Sloop which called for tallow. That was from the mid 1700's what about the turn of the century?

I would suggest your Swift follow the Armed Virginia Sloop. The wipe on poly is fine if you choose not to model the preservative stuff which is OK as well. I use an acrylic color called “antique white” for the white stuff and often do an overcoat of matte polyurethane as a finish. Many models are finished off without a hull coloring to model the stuff used to keep the hulls intact…your choice…

Thank you for your input. I found on the A.L. website that they had it painted red to the waterline then black except the wale which was painted white. I realize that's probably more "modern". So I'll debate it to myself and take it from there.

Hi guys and gals! I know that at sometime in the 18th century hulls were covered with "tallow". I'm wondering what they were covered with on smaller craft? About 1800-1825? Also, is there a way to learn how to research things like this? I cast around but can't find the resources that some apparently can. ???
Hallo @Jahno
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back