Bounty model kits

I need some advise regarding available HMS Bounty wooden kits. I am originally from Nova Scotia and have an interest in the Bluenose schooner and its history. I built my first Bluenose by Billings way back in 1973 and am presently finishing the rigging on my second Model Shipways Bluenose. Why so many Bluenose schooners? Grandsons wanted my original so I had to build more! Anyway, back to my request for info on Bounty kits. The Bounty used in the movie Mutiny on the Bounty was made at the Lunenburg shipyards and again my Nova Scotia background comes into play. I have seen a number of reviews on U-tube and the Construto kit appears to be a decent one. I am sure there are others as well that I might consider. I would like reasonable accuracy and quality of pre-formed components. Anything coming out of China is out of the question. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bill.

With regards to H.M.S Bounty kits, I built the Amati kit 30 years ago.
Its still regarded as the best Bounty kit on the market, but you would probably want to purchase aftermarket cannon carriages and a ships boat. They are ugly cast metal.
Good luck with it.

And do not forget the Jotika / Caldercraft Bounty - good quality kits with very good manuals and drawings

Hi Bill. I am currently building an older Billings Kit (not laser-cut) and it is very hard going. I have also spent a lot more on replacement parts just to produce something decent. Perhaps the newer kits are better but I would probably steer away from the Billings. With the extra amount I have had to spend (on Amati replacement parts for my Billings kit) to make mine look decent, I have come to the conclusion that it is best to spend more initially to buy the best kit that you can possibly afford - then you won't have regrets later.

Hi Bill. I am currently building an older Billings Kit (not laser-cut) and it is very hard going. I have also spent a lot more on replacement parts just to produce something decent. Perhaps the newer kits are better but I would probably steer away from the Billings. With the extra amount I have had to spend (on Amati replacement parts for my Billings kit) to make mine look decent, I have come to the conclusion that it is best to spen

Thanks AusGuy. Your comments are much appreciated. I reviewed 6 possible kits online (Constructo, Mamoli, JoTiKa, Billings, Calder Craft, and Amati). Many kits were sold out and not currently available. In the end, having listened to the comments from all of you on this site, I decided on the Amati AM1432 kit. I ordered it yesterday from Ages of Sail in California. I know from experience that there will no doubt be adjustments needed to the kit but I will deal with it.

Hi Bill.
If you haven't looked already, I have found Steve 12345's build log of his Bounty quite useful - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/14522-hms-bounty-by-steve-12345-finished-billing-boats-150/page/1/ (thanks Steve).
The instructions in my Billings kit are very short, very vague and miss quite a few things - I am sure your Amati one should be better. I have purchased some Amati replacement parts and the quality is good - so I am sure you will be pleased with your purchase. Enjoy!
Hi Bill.
If you haven't looked already, I have found Steve 12345's build log of his Bounty quite useful - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/14522-hms-bounty-by-steve-12345-finished-billing-boats-150/page/1/ (thanks Steve).
The instructions in my Billings kit are very short, very vague and miss quite a few things - I am sure your Amati one should be better. I have purchased some Amati replacement parts and the quality is good - so I am sure you will be pleased with your purchase. Enjoy!

Thanks. I have downloaded Steve's site. I will have a closer look at it soon. Having done a fair amount of woodworking in the past I can't help but admire his workshop. Keep safe. Bill

I agree Bill. Due to current lack of space my son and I are making our Bounty on stable tables on our laps :D. I am so jealous of Steve's workshop and his handcrafted toolboxes.

Inspite of the warnings on YouTube (Davaoshipmodeller) about the AMATI Bounty 1:60 kit I ended up buying one! The reason being I tried to buy other kits but everyone seemed to be out of stock. Since I wanted to start a Bounty one this month I "bite the bullet" and purchased a AMATI kit. I have just finished framing and doing the deck and about to start the first layer of planking. The purpose of this post is to warn you that if you want to add to the stress of COVID-19 just buy this kit. You might see if there is a mental health professional you can visit after as well. You will need some counselling! Seriously, some of the problems I have encountered so far are:
1. The instructions on the diagrams/plans are in Italian with the english translation in a separate booklet which means going back and forth between the two which is a pain. No problem if your Italian is up to par.
2. The plywood sub-deck does not fit the bulkheads - it is longer and needs to be trimmed.
3. If you follow the instructions the canon ports are will be far to low for the cannons to protrude through.
4. The kit comes with cloth for sails but have print outlines where the stitching normally is on the sails. The reason I dislike this is after spending hundreds of hours putting the boat together they expect me to put on sails that make my work look like it was a cheap purchase from a box store. Fortunately I have left over cloth for my Bluenose builds to do my own versions.

On a more positive side the accessories provided appear to be of good quality. Some will not like the fact the dory is cast metal but I may be able to overlay it with thin planking or just make a wooden one. Modellers with some experience will be able to work around the problems encountered - it is just frustrating in having to do so.

Bill

I am in the middle of this build...I wish I had done some research prior to buying...(note to self...never purchase impulsively)! I have had all the problems you have noted above...thank you YouTube (Davaoshipmodeller)...this has helped a great deal. I am now onto the rigging. It might just be my lack of skill/knowledge but I am finding the plans provided to be totally inadequate and only complicated by the Italian/English translations. I keep reminding myself...this is supposed to be fun... and it is but frustrating as hell!

Back