BOW CLAMPS HELP

HI ALL IN CASE SOME ARE NOT FOLLOWING MY LOG THOUGHT I WOULD POST IT HERE ALSO, ANOTHER NAGGING PROBLEM THAT HAS HAUNTED ME FOR A VEY LONG TIME ON POB BUILDS, IS GETTING A CORRECT CLAMP AT THE BOW TO CAMP PLANKS ALONG THE BOW RABBIT NO MATTER WHAT I USE STILL WILL NOT HOLD HAVE BROKEN OFF MANY FALSE KEEL PIECES AS I DID IN THIS ONE TOO TRYING TO CLAMP A TEST PLANK, WAS ABLE TO FIND IT AND RE GLUE IT BUT THE PROBLEM O CLAPPING STILL IS THERE THE ONLY WAY THAT I AM ABLE TO DO IT IS HOLD IT WITH MYFINGER AND USE ca WITCH MAKES A tYOTAL MESS JUST AWFUL SO TRYING TO FIX ANOTHER PROBLEM TROUGH SOS MEMBERS, PLEASE CO0MMENT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

THOSE I HAVE NOT TRIED WILL ORDER FROM M/S, TOMORROW, HAVE YOU TRYED THEM ON THE BOW, ALL THE OTHER TYPES OF PLANKING SCREWS I HAVE TRIED WILL NOT WORK I ALSO HAVE THE BOW FILLERS TO INSTALL ALSO THIS WAS JUST A DRY FIT, SO 2 MORE ITEMS MAY HOPEFULLY GO BY THE WAY SIDE I HOPE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

I HAVE TRIED THOSE SOMETIMES TO STRONG AND WILL BREAK THE FALSE KEEL, ESPECIALLY SOMETHING LIKE THIS BY M/S, THIS IS ONE OF MY MAIN COM-PLAINTS ABOUT M/S KITS, MAYBE BETTER AND STRONGER MATERIALS FOR MORE MONEY WOULD HELP, AS THEY ARE GETTING BETTER AND BETTER WITH THERE INSTRUCTIONS AND PLANS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

For first planking, planking nails work well for me. Leave a bit sticking above the surface so they can be pulled out after the glue sets. Also, I usually use CN glue for the first inch or so of the plank from the bow rabbet back towards the first bulkhead with PVA wood glue on the rest of the plank. Finally, it helps to pre-bend the plank to the shape of the bow so it doesn't tned to sping back while the glue is setting.

HI ANTHONY, I HAVE TRIED THESE, FOR ME THEY DO NOT WORK, THE M/S MATERIALS ARE WAY TO SOFT THEY WILL CRACK A FRAME, ALSO THEY BEND, FOR ME THEY JUST DO NOT WORK, THANKS FOR BEING HERE FOR ME. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

i made some in brass they dont bend , i can send you some to try if you like , i made too many anyway

HI ANTHONY, I HAVE TRIED THESE, FOR ME THEY DO NOT WORK, THE M/S MATERIALS ARE WAY TO SOFT THEY WILL CRACK A FRAME, ALSO THEY BEND, FOR ME THEY JUST DO NOT WORK, THANKS FOR BEING HERE FOR ME. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don
same bad experience. Nails if first of double plank, push pins ALONGSIDE for second planks with spare wood as "cushion" to protect wood. Just remember that non brass pins (ferrous) = pva glue cause black staining if the underside of the planks will show.

ANOTHER WAY THAT I AM TRYING SUPRISED SO FAR, WILL SE WHAT HAPPENS TOMORROW, US OF HEAVY DUTY SURGICAL TAPE AFTER HOT WATER AND HEAT FROM CURLING IRON, REMEMBER MIKE S, ITB SEEMS TO BE HOLDING I MAY GET SOME SPRING BACK WILL SEE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

I usually use small binder clips like these, especially at the bow. I'm sure the screw clamps work well, but these seem to hold with quite a bit of strength, and they are inexpensive, durable, and easy to keep in plentiful supply. You can also stick the wire holds crossways for a bulkhead plank holder.
View attachment 155810View attachment 155811
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...=att&disp=safe&realattid=1728ca0174c8016ba9a1
Do you have a photo of how you use these? I am about to start my first POB model.

Anthony,
I would like to see a picture of your clamps you made.

they look exactly like the ones you can buy from micro mark but in brass and a little more precise , i will try and get a picture up when i get home(i'm at work atm)

I use these clamps. With an already trimmed to fit the rabbit plank soaked and pliable I wedge the plank into the rabbit with a dab of gel type CA glue and use the clamp to keep the plank in place. I'm not clamping the plank I'm clamping the bow stem so no lasting clamp marks on the wet plank. Works for me but the trimming of the plank to perfectly fit the rabbit is crucial.

Zdfd.jpg

Back