boxwood rumor

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Sponsor: dlumberyard
Staff member
Sponsor

there is a rumor being spread around boxwood supply is vanishing.
not true at all I just went to the warehouse and brought 2 full pickup truck loads back to the shop from a stock of 1,000 board feet to replenish what was in the shop from last falls load and we have a strong reliable importer so boxwood will be available for a long time to come so NO WORRIES

DSC1.jpg

Last edited:
the lumberyard is celebrating this July being in the lumber business for 40 years

so if boxwood was vanishing I think we would be the first to know or at least one of the first to know.

I do want to thank all the customers over all these years

I assume this is Castello Boxwood (Calycophyllum Multiforum) from South/Central America?
Nope, @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) sells West Indian boxwood.

I assume this is Castello Boxwood (Calycophyllum Multiforum) from South/Central America?

There is no such wood as Castillo boxwood it is not a wood it is a trade name

Calycophyllum Multiforum) trade name Castello boxwood is not a boxwood not even in the boxwood family see the link below

There is no such wood as Castillo boxwood it is not a wood it is a trade name

Calycophyllum Multiforum) trade name Castello boxwood is not a boxwood not even in the boxwood family see the link below

Nice one, Dave - and congratulations on forty years!

Ted

Thanks for the info on Castello "boxwood" (which is the "boxwood" Gilmer Wood Company sells). So which buxus is the the West Indian one or does it matter if it proves to be ideal for ship model building and you have a reliable source. What can you tell me about lemonwood (Calycophyllum candidissimum) which I have used in the past and find it to be excellent for model building. Unfortunately, the best lemonwood comes (or rather came) from Cuba.

Thanks for the info on Castello "boxwood" (which is the "boxwood" Gilmer Wood Company sells). So which buxus is the the West Indian one or does it matter if it proves to be ideal for ship model building and you have a reliable source. What can you tell me about lemonwood (Calycophyllum candidissimum) which I have used in the past and find it to be excellent for model building. Unfortunately, the best lemonwood comes (or rather came) from Cuba.
I think West Indian is not in the Buxus family either,both the Costello and West Indian is a good substitute but Costello is extremely overpriced,check with @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) the pricing for the West Indian and sample to compare these boxwood subtitues,but lets wait for @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) reply.

as Zoltan said West Indian boxwood is a trade name and is NOT a true boxwood because it is not in the buxus family.

it is Yale university dept of forestry that listed woods as a suitable substitute for true boxwood which has the workable qualities of true boxwood. According to Yale "castello boxwood" is not a boxwood or falls into the category of boxwood substitute it is a made up wood. However the family Calycophyllum is a real family of woods which Lemonwood also called Degame and Lancewood are members of. Also in the family is Pau Marfim and and a host of other south american woods. It is a catch all for any number of woods.
What Gilmer wood sells as Boxwood could be anything that kind of, sort of looks and works something like true boxwood. like you said it does not matter if it works for model building.

South American, Boxwood (gossypiopermum praecox.) Other names for this wood are Maraciabo boxwood, Agracejo, Palo Blanco, Cuchillo, Limoncillo, Manzano, Sapatero, and Zapatero. These are names used in the local areas where the wood in located, West Indies, Columbia and Venezuela.

Last edited:
Back