Brad point bits.

Tony P

Staff member
Le Rochefort Moderator

Has anyone used small brad point bits instead of regular twist drills ? Good source for them ? I think they might cut cleaner in the woods we use ??
I have many many bits here most cheap modeling bits that don't cut as they should compared to (the high quality stuff I have but not in mini sizes) Twist drills especially with the flat cutting edges tend to grab the wood and tear. What are your favorite bits ? I see a lot of end mills being sold as drill bits. Anyone try them ? I sharpen my own bits, have for years since I was in an industry where we drilled thousands of holes and had to. Haven't tried very small ones yet but that may be the answer to get a smooth grab free cut going.

Thanks Tony

I've been thinking about this. I've got hawse holes to drill and was thinking that brad point might be an idea. But the skinflint in me wonders if you sharpen brad points?

Don't know never tried to sharpen one. Probably be difficult as the cutting edge is fairly hidden. I see they go down to 1/8, even a set from 1/8 to 1/4 would come in handy.

Yes those are the end mills sold as drill bits if I’m not mistaken. Never tried them. I should.

Back