Brig Eagle 1:48 scale

Hello everyone! I have been encouraged to make a blog on here as well as the other site that I am on, so here is where things are right now. For this project I am using plans drawn by Bill Edgin (used with permission) and I will be making changes as I build this ship model. There have been a number of big gaps in progress between working my office job and doing different research topics for this project. Back in September of 2021 I finished making the building board for this project. It took me way longer to make than I was anticipated as I ended up cutting out each notch with my scroll saw as my band saw needs to get the blade back on the wheels. Then in January of 2022 I got my first frame made, this will be Frames 7-8 on his plans. My frames are too thick and I am needing to thin these down. Got an oscillating sander that has been very helpful shaping frames. During this time I unfortunately damaged the keel that I had (plus there were features that I had failed to make) and have decided that I need to remake the keel.

20210918_180201.jpg

20220122_144741.jpg

FightingBrig11x17-72dpi_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Another update.

With enormous thanks to Mr. Passaro as well as Greg (from Model Ship World/ Nautical Research Guild), I have been doing research involving the cant frames and hawse timbers. Plans of the Eagle originally done by A&M University when Dr. Crisman found the wreck off Lake Champlain clearly show two cant frames (the area circled in red in picture 1, Frames Q and R using the plans from Bill Edgin. And there is spacing where Frame S should be that perfectly makes the third cant frame). I have decided to copy the idea by Mr. Passaro used on his Speedwell blog for the cant frame areas. Then, using a compass, I was able to get the angle of the frames off the keel (the angled lines done in cyan). Then the dark blue box shapes in picture 3 will be the hawse timbers but will need to redo this incorporating the spacer pieces where the anchor cable openings will be. And for those of you wondering, the green boxes are following the construction Mr. Passaro used in the Winnie project strengthening the cathead pieces with the forward mast bitt frames.

Even though I have yet to remake the keel as don't have money right now to buy more wood plus still needing to fix my saw, I have began the shaping of the hawse timbers for my model of Eagle. This will be a long process in making and shaping these pieces more, especially on the insides. I am planning to be installing 1/32 inch spacers between the frames of the hawse timbers that have yet to be ordered. But this is where I am as another snow day in Denver.

Eagle Inboard2.jpg

20230320_110038.jpg

20230320_110326.jpg

20230404_090426.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much, Paul and Tobias. I am looking forward to learning a lot and great feedback about progress. I just hope I can make as half a decent model as I dream about, lol.

Another update.

With enormous thanks to Mr. Passaro as well as Greg (from Model Ship World), I have been doing research involving the cant frames and hawse timbers. Plans of the Eagle originally done by A&M University when Dr. Crisman found the wreck off Lake Champlain clearly show two cant frames (the area circled in red in picture 1, Frames Q and R using the plans from Bill Edgin. And there is spacing where Frame S should be that perfectly makes the third cant frame). I have decided to copy the idea by Mr. Passaro used on his Speedwell blog for the cant frame areas. Then, using a compass, I was able to get the angle of the frames off the keel (the angled lines done in cyan). Then the dark blue box shapes in picture 3 will be the hawse timbers but will need to redo this incorporating the spacer pieces where the anchor cable openings will be. And for those of you wondering, the green boxes are following the construction Mr. Passaro used in the Winnie project strengthening the cathead pieces with the forward mast bitt frames.

Even though I have yet to remake the keel as don't have money right now to buy more wood plus still needing to fix my saw, I have began the shaping of the hawse timbers for my model of Eagle. This will be a long process in making and shaping these pieces more, especially on the insides. I am planning to be installing 1/32 inch spacers between the frames of the hawse timbers that have yet to be ordered. But this is where I am as another snow day in Denver.

View attachment 367364

View attachment 367365

View attachment 367366

View attachment 367367
Great work! Chuck knows so much about ships of this time period. His Winchelsea kit looks detailed and precise. I'm into the older vessels. There is so little we know about how those are constructed compared to modern brigs of the 1800's. Looking forward to building privateer Rattlesnake after the Sovereign is finished.

Thank you so much, and indeed Mr. Passaro is a great source of information about ship models. I have included a picture from November 2021 with first attempts making one of the carronade stands as well as two of the stern frame timbers. It's truly amazing how small some of these pieces are in this scale and yet some people are able to add so much detail that is beyond any of my abilities at this time. The Rattlesnake is supposed to be a good model, she might become a future build depending on how long it takes me to make the Eagle.

20211212_173150.jpg

Welcome aboard to SOS:)
An interesting project, I'll will keep following with a great curiosity

Hello Vic. Yes, I am sure that this will indeed be quite the challenge building from plans. But with good sources of feedback like SOS and The NRG, I hope that even a landlubber like me gluttoned for punishment can hopefully make something decent. Even YouTube can be of some benefit.

A warm welcome here on board of our forum - a very interesting project - I will follow your building log with big interest

Hi
I was looking at an attempt to build this model using the practicum by Gene Bodnar and the same drawings as yourself with visual help of your build log and information.
Great work
Alan

Hello Alan, thanks for the comment. Progress for me is the same speed as evolution because of the work schedules that I have and trying to get a second job for additional income. Humbled that I have been of assistance to your model.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I have been encouraged to make a blog on here as well as the other site that I am on, so here is where things are right now. For this project I am using plans drawn by Bill Edgin (used with permission) and I will be making changes as I build this ship model. There have been a number of big gaps in progress between working my office job and doing different research topics for this project. Back in September of 2021 I finished making the building board for this project. It took me way longer to make than I was anticipated as I ended up cutting out each notch with my scroll saw as my band saw needs to get the blade back on the wheels. Then in January of 2022 I got my first frame made, this will be Frames 7-8 on his plans. My frames are too thick and I am needing to thin these down. Got an oscillating sander that has been very helpful shaping frames. During this time I unfortunately damaged the keel that I had (plus there were features that I had failed to make) and have decided that I need to remake the keel.

View attachment 367354

View attachment 367355

View attachment 367361
Hallo @bdgiantman2
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your project going? Maybe you have time for an update?

Sorry I cannot see the ghostings on your strakes. Presume you did. How was the fare run?

Hallo @bdgiantman2
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your project going? Maybe you have time for an update?
Hi Uwe, thank you so much for the kind birthday message. Unfortunately I have not made any progress or updates with this model. Was given a mini table-saw recently for my birthday, will be trying it out hopefully in the near future. Lot of issues going on for me with work and very limited income still to get more lumber as desired.

Back