Brigantine Leon 1:48 scratch

I just learned that I am a member of this group (name LittleLeon) as of 2018! I figured I would introduce myself by showing 6 pictures of the model that a friend cleverly put in one picture. The unusual thing about this model is that it is partially based on contemporary (i.e 1880) source material in addition to Harold Underhill's books. This material was gathered by Jeppe Jul Nielson in Larvik, Norway where Leon was built as well as Oslo. I donated the model to the Tollerodden Foundation which is building a museum about Colin Archer the designer/builder of Leon. A build log of Leon is in the website of the NRG-MWS (Nautical Research Guild - Model Ship World).6in1.jpg.
Before building this model of Leon, I built a 22' 'model' of her that sails - I started building wooden ship models when I was 12 and always wanted to build one that I could sail. Her name , Little Leon, hints that she is not a model but rather she is based on the real ship. The picture below shows her plowing through the seas. The square sails all set and furl individually but they brace altogether. The only known picture of the real ship is also included here.

BestProfile64.jpg Leon Photo Adjusted.jpg

Now I'm building a Billings Boat kit of Rescue Ship 1 - Colin Archer, 1:15, with radio control. These are the boats that Colin Archer is actually famous for.
Photo from boxtop.jpg

Great models and project
and a warm welcome here on board - for a somehow new member ;)

I just learned that I am a member of this group (name LittleLeon) as of 2018! I figured I would introduce myself by showing 6 pictures of the model that a friend cleverly put in one picture. The unusual thing about this model is that it is partially based on contemporary (i.e 1880) source material in addition to Harold Underhill's books. This material was gathered by Jeppe Jul Nielson in Larvik, Norway where Leon was built as well as Oslo. I donated the model to the Tollerodden Foundation which is building a museum about Colin Archer the designer/builder of Leon. A build log of Leon is in the website of the NRG-MWS (Nautical Research Guild - Model Ship World)..
Before building this model of Leon, I built a 22' 'model' of her that sails - I started building wooden ship models when I was 12 and always wanted to build one that I could sail. Her name , Little Leon, hints that she is not a model but rather she is based on the real ship. The picture below shows her plowing through the seas. The square sails all set and furl individually but they brace altogether. The only known picture of the real ship is also included here.

Now I'm building a Billings Boat kit of Rescue Ship 1 - Colin Archer, 1:15, with radio control. These are the boats that Colin Archer is actually famous for.
Hallo @LittleLeon
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back