Brigantine Phoenix, by Master Korabel [COMPLETED BUILD]

Work continues by building deck items, companionways, etc.....

IMG_0589.jpeg

Once sides are installed, the whole structure has to be sanded on an angle so the roof can fit properly.

IMG_0590.jpeg

There is a gap between deck and sides i will be covering with a small waterways...

IMG_0591.jpeg

The roof has been installed...

IMG_0592.jpeg

Work on board pin rails is next. Removed from the frames, they have to be cleaned from laser cut burns...

IMG_0593.jpeg

Installed on the ship. They fit very precise with a small adjustments here and there..

IMG_0594.jpeg

IMG_0595.jpeg

I have not installed all of them, not sure why... but started to work on gratings. The instruction shows how many gratings are required (8x5, 8x10, etc).

Gently installing them, no hard pushing... Some extra gratings are included so no problem if you snap one or two..

IMG_0596.jpeg

IMG_0597.jpeg

Cut to the size, and glue them from all ends.

IMG_0598.jpeg

IMG_0599.jpeg

They are ready for final sanding and assembly..

Happy modelling.

Lesson learned.... never blindly trust the instruction sheet.

Made gratings based on instruction dimensions, 8x5 holes as per picture below but actual dimension have to be bigger for at least two more holes, like 10x7..

Not sure was it because of Alvin Lee's guitar riffs or second glass of great french cognac, i finished all needed gratings but did not bother to check the fitting. During assembly phase noticed they are small... Dough..

IMG_0601.jpeg

I managed to make three new out of the remaining (and salvaged) gratings but it was not enough for the whole ship..

IMG_0602.jpeg

Now i have to either make my own or try to find somewhere gratings that fits the size...

In the meantime continue with other ship parts...

Happy modelling..

No worries about gratings, will attack them later.

Continue with skylight assembly. Since they are tiny, i decided to mount them on the piece of tape so it is easier to hold. Then glue them while on the tape..

IMG_0603.jpeg

IMG_0604.jpeg

IMG_0606.jpeg

Then to simulate hinges, i cut the small pieces of electrical tape and put them on, following with a layer of varnish to seal the tapes..

IMG_0608.jpeg

During work on skylight i noticed that companionway roof appears to be a bit out of scale.. Removed it, sanded it, added extra support in the middle and installed a new roof..

IMG_0609.jpeg

IMG_0610.jpeg

IMG_0611.jpeg

Now it its time to drill a holes for a pedestal in case i decide not to use a cradle... Two pilot holes are drilled.

IMG_0612.jpeg

Horseshoe were attacked next.

IMG_0614.jpeg

First a bath in blackened solution, rinse and dry...

IMG_0615.jpeg

Then glue to the ship..

IMG_0616.jpeg

The holes thru horseshoe are drilled to match the diameter of kit provided wire (0.5mm) i will use to simulate nails..

I rounded one end of the nail with a milling bit..

IMG_0618.jpeg

and the nail looks like this:

IMG_0617.jpeg

Sorry, not quite focused picture..

And mounted on the ship:

IMG_0619.jpeg

During this process i lost few nails (flew somewhere), but making extras is always a good thing.

Happy modelling.

The horseshoes were installed..

IMG_0627.jpeg

Then the work on rudder started. The rudder is built from two pieces, they have to be cleaned from laser burns, glued and sanded. Then the rudder covers (two pieces of veneer) have to be glued on and rudder shaped in the way that the narrowed part is on the bottom..

IMG_0620.jpeg

IMG_0621.jpeg

IMG_0626.jpeg

While this is drying, i completed the installation of ship name decoration..

First, cut from the frame, sanded it all...

IMG_0622.jpeg

.. short bath in blackening solution and sanded it all again..

IMG_0623.jpeg

The windows were protected with a piece of transparent tape before the whole hull was painted black.

IMG_0624.jpeg

Now, decor will go on by gluing it...

IMG_0625.jpeg

It will stay for now and dry..

Happy modelling.

Work on rudder and hinges continues..

The rudder has been assembled and sanded to correct shape.

IMG_0628.jpeg

IMG_0629.jpeg

The hinges have been sanded lightly so they can be blackened easier.

IMG_0630.jpeg

IMG_0631.jpeg

Cut and assembled. The will also be soldered a bit to fill out a gap between parts.

IMG_0632.jpeg

IMG_0633.jpeg

IMG_0634.jpeg

IMG_0635.jpeg

A bit more sanding and soldering a pin as well.. then bath of blackening and ready to be put on rudder.

IMG_0637.jpeg

Happy modelling.

The pins are all ready; produced in the same way as before.
Some will be used for hinges on the rudder and some will be used for hinges mounted on the ship itself. And there are few extras because these little buggers fly away on its own..

1.jpg

The hinges were glued to the rudder, and pins were cut to the 3mm length and pushed to the rudder. The holes and pins are identical size so pins needs to be pushed into rudder which does not require any glue...

IMG_0711.jpeg

All pins installed. The whole hinges assembly including pins will have to be painted since the blackening was removed during installation process on some rudder areas.

IMG_0712.jpeg

IMG_0713.jpeg

Ready to be mounted on the ship.

Happy modelling...

Have to make few hooks that will be mounted at the bow. Three the same size and one of smaller diameter.

Here is one already made.

1.jpg

How did i get there? Everyone has its own way of making them so i will just explain quickly how i am making these.

First twisting it around the correct diameter.

2.jpg

End product..

3.jpg

Cut the excess of wire so the hook is a hook..

5.jpg

Preparing for a soldering..

6.jpg

Soldered..

7.jpg

Cleaning the hook..

8.jpg

Few done and some extras...

9.jpg

Happy modelling...

The rudder has been installed...

1.jpg

Then crossbar installation took place by first installing a part on the stem aligning it with a hole. The second part is double veneer and the first one i have installed as one piece (both veneer layers at once).

In the middle of gluing the top part dislocated and fall off.. The second part was done differently: first both layers were separated and installed individually. Way easier..

2.jpg

The knee has to be bevelled a bit and soaked in water so it can be easier bend while assembled..

3.jpg

4.jpg

Next, knees have to be filled a bit to be parallel but that is next step..

Happy modelling...

It is time to work on hawse holes. The notches in anchor lines are used as a guides to drill holes in the hull..

1.jpg

It's always a scary part when you need to drill a hole thru the hull... hard to fix any mistake.

2.jpg

Hosepipes are shortened to 6mm length so they dont stick out too long from the inner side..

3.jpg

The glue was applied in the opened hole and pipes are mounted in.

4.jpg

To cover the opening on the back, i made few metal covers. First i made rings out of the brass wire, soldered it and flattened them. Then short bath in blackening solution and glue them to the ship.

5.jpg

Maybe next time i play with milling metal covers...

Happy modelling..

I like your metal covers on the inside! Great idea. I should start doing that too. How do you determine the radius of the loop?
I measure the outer dimension of the pipe and used it as inner radius for a loop (kind of in the picture). This was used to choose a size of the drilling bit i used to make few loops. Loops were soldered and flattened with small hammer and anvil.

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 09.55.56.png

I measure the outer dimension of the pipe and used it as inner radius for a loop (kind of in the picture). This was used to choose a size of the drilling bit i used to make few loops. Loops were soldered and flattened with small hammer and anvil.
Hello, Moreplovac. When you flatten the hoops, the inner diameter will make it smaller. Is this correct?

Hello, Moreplovac. When you flatten the hoops, the inner diameter will make it smaller. Is this correct?
If you are careful and try to hit the outer side of the wire (ring) you might lower the result of diameter shrinkage..
Since this ring was glued to the inner bulwark and pipes do not stick out all the way (i cut them), you actually not seeing any discrepancy in diameter size. The best way would be to actually mill the inner cap (lets call it that way) but i don't have an option to mill it so i have to do it all fashioned way. I blackened it to hide different colours of copper and soldering material.
I might make a tiny cap out of a wood and paint it in black just for fun or leave it in natural wood colour. The other option would be to make the cap out of plastic tube or something and put a layer of flat black on it...

Back