Brigantine Phoenix, by Master Korabel [COMPLETED BUILD]

Attachments

• IMG_1733.jpg
    IMG_1733.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 9
Fore/main topmast and fore/main topgallant are tapered on the mini wood lathe..

1.jpg

Acorns for topgallant were prepared next; it just need a hole to be widened a bit.

2.jpg

Main mast was tapered to required shape as well.. The top part was cut in square shape and tested with cap..

3.jpg

Then i was installing mast cleats. It is a bit challenging to get them in correct position...

4.jpg

... but managed to get it correct. Holes were drilled and cleat with a piece of wire inserted into mast.. a bit of a glue was dropped to fill the gaps between cleats and mast...

5.jpg

Boom pads knees and pad was installed next.

6.jpg

Then i widened the opening for a mast... it is a bit scary to use a rasp but rasp provided the easiest control of the depth..

7.jpg

All parts were mounted on the mast with superglue....

8.jpg

9.jpg

A bit of a work on topmast...

10.jpg

11.jpg

Removed laser burns from topmast cap...

12.jpg

A nice layer of stain was applied...

13.jpg

14.jpg

Topgallant/topmast achtkants were next. I used a needle covered with little wax to hold the parts while glue them together.

15.jpg

16.jpg

They slide off easily with almost no wax residue on them..

17.jpg

18.jpg

Happy modelling..

Achtkants were shaped and mounted on the topgallants and topmasts. This work took a while since the inside opening has to be carefully widened so it still has a bit of a wood left and at the same time, the hole is wide enough so it can slide down fairly easily, without breakage. Easily said then done, one of the achtkants broke and i had to fix it on the topgallant. You can see the small chip missing on the left one.

1.jpg

Then i start assembling the foremast...

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

and completed.. ready for a layer of danish oil.

5.jpg

Happy modelling...

Started the work on the boom.. by shaping it to the correct width and shape...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Still a bit more work but very close to the end result...

3.jpg

4.jpg

The boom' jaws were assembled after the correct boom end was shaped with sand paper. I used carpenter's glue for this process just to make sure any hole between boom and jaw were filled.

5.jpg

Happy modelling..

Yes, jut sandpaper and files.

I do have one fancy shaping tool, made out of two coffee stir sticks, glued together with a sandpaper in between. This way i can squeeze it and have a bit more controlled sanding process. I have few of these with different sandpaper size.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Also using another home made helping tool, this allows to shape to correct thickness lengthwise..

5.jpg

6.jpg

Happy modelling...

Yes, jut sandpaper and files.

I do have one fancy shaping tool, made out of two coffee stir sticks, glued together with a sandpaper in between. This way i can squeeze it and have a bit more controlled sanding process. I have few of these with different sandpaper size.

View attachment 205561

View attachment 205562

View attachment 205563

View attachment 205564

Also using another home made helping tool, this allows to shape to correct thickness lengthwise..

View attachment 205565

View attachment 205566

Happy modelling...
Thank you for sharing your custom tools.

The boom has been completed. Here is the process..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Faking the sheave again... must be very good for the whole year so Santa can bring me a mini metal lathe...

4.jpg

5.jpg

Metal bands are simulated with a paper coloured in black and sliced in tiny strips. Then wrapped around the area and glued.. Appears to be very effective at the end..

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Happy modelling..

I have added few details on boom... the pins were inserted into 'metal' bands..

1.jpg

I tested two ways of doing this: one is to prepare a pin completely, round one end of it and insert into predrilled hole. I think this method works better for this purpose. The second method is to cut a pin, insert into predrilled hole and round it after it was inserted. The rounding process (and tool) will round the end as well as push the pin in the wood. The challenge with this method is to stop before tool hits the paper...

2.jpg

3.jpg

Whichever method to use, the end results are acceptable...

4.jpg

I worked on a hull template for display case. I am not sure which way of displaying the ship i will be using...

5.jpg

Also, put a layer of danish oil on all completed parts... Sorry for clatter on the pictures..

6.jpg

7.jpg

Happy modelling...

The yards, crosstrees and mastcaps are painted in black... i did not have to pay too much attention to crosstrees (and that area) if they will get a black colour but it is a good exercise to make sure all details are taken care off.. and if i changed my mind regarding colour, it is ready for further steps..

2.jpg

1.jpg

Happy modelling...

The yards, crosstrees and mastcaps are painted in black... i did not have to pay too much attention to crosstrees (and that area) if they will get a black colour but it is a good exercise to make sure all details are taken care off.. and if i changed my mind regarding colour, it is ready for further steps..

View attachment 207701

View attachment 207702

Happy modelling...
Just curious about the clothes peg inside the larger clamp, why not just use the larger clamp? I’m sure there’s a reason...

Just curious about the clothes peg inside the larger clamp, why not just use the larger clamp? I’m sure there’s a reason...
Yes, there is; the clothes pegs are small size to keep the longer yards up so i need to use bigger clamps to to keep yards up while drying. Also, the set of bigger clamps i have, has really strong grip and it will leave marks on the wood. So instead of adding a piece of sponge to clamp i decided to use pegs first.. Pegs are fine for smaller yard sizes but for bigger they just not work. I also have normal size pegs that can be used; just forgot about those..

Cheers

I will be putting a few wooldings, 7-8 on each masts, 4 wraps each, with 0.4mm rope diameter.

I marked the distance with a masking tape..

1.jpg

I dropped a small amount of the glue on the starting point, hold the rope few seconds and then start wrapping.

2.jpg

For wrapping purpose i put a small weight on the opposite end of the rope and start twisting the mast. The weight will keep the rope straight and twisting the mast controls the position of the wrapped rope...

3.jpg

The end result...

4.jpg

The rope ends can be cut in an angle or not, depending on preference..

5.jpg

6.jpg

Bowsprit also received few wraps..

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Happy modelling...

Hello @moreplovac. I spent my past several lunch breaks catching up on your build-log. I love all the custom details you are adding to what appears to be a fine kit to begin with. Thank you for the careful explanation of the 'upgrades.' Really inspiring stuff! I'll now be tracking with you if that's alright (just really late to the party).
Paul

Hello @moreplovac. I spent my past several lunch breaks catching up on your build-log. I love all the custom details you are adding to what appears to be a fine kit to begin with. Thank you for the careful explanation of the 'upgrades.' Really inspiring stuff! I'll now be tracking with you if that's alright (just really late to the party).
Paul
Hi Paul, glad to have you on board. The kit is very good and with small add-ons it will be very nice addition to completed fleet.
I always trying to "upgrade" the kit with some either custom-build details or by replacing the factory parts.
Glad if i can assist in nay way.
Cheers

Back