Brigantine Phoenix, by Master Korabel [COMPLETED BUILD]

Still need to practice this technique, mostly on some bigger scale model... It turns out that with this way the amount of sail cloth provided in kit might not be sufficient. Also needs to practice on type/amount of glue used to glue strips together to simulate joining of two cloths..

View attachment 246578

View attachment 246601

Anyhow, the new material was located and in this case i will try simulating with a pencil line... I will also practicing with another sail cloth material and using "pulling the threads" technique for simulation overlapping seams..

View attachment 246600

Tracing the sails down...

View attachment 246599

Simulating overlapping seams..

View attachment 246598

Cutting strips that will be glued to the sail..

View attachment 246596

View attachment 246597

In order to protect the cloth from starting to tear apart, the cloth for strips was covered with diluted white glue, 50/50 with water, left overnight to dry and ironed before used. Then it was placed down, with material threads as vertical as possible. Then i put several strips of transparent scotch tape to prevent tear, very much the same reason of putting the scotch tap on veneer before cutting it...The strips are cut 3mm and 4mm wide.
I started with the longest run first... following the sail template..
View attachment 246595

I used white glue, not diluted to glue strips to the fabric. The scotch tape is pulled off easily once the glue settles down.

View attachment 246594

View attachment 246593

View attachment 246592

View attachment 246591

View attachment 246590

The sail is cut off..

View attachment 246589

The simulation lines have to be put on the back as well.. Two lines of scotch tape with measurements are put on the desk and the lines are run on the material..

View attachment 246587

View attachment 246588

Running out of strips and making the new bunch described above..

View attachment 246586

All sails completed.

View attachment 246585

Now it is time to run a boltrope, 4mm thick, using combination of cyano glue for a quick grab/hold and 50/50 diluted white glue running with the line, to make sure rope stays on..
View attachment 246584

View attachment 246583

View attachment 246582

View attachment 246581

View attachment 246580

View attachment 246579

Will continue tomorrow.

Happy modelling...
you are Achieving the most impressive progress, and you are doing a great job in preparing preparing the ship's sails! Well done

Reef points installation process..

Mark it on the sail..

90.jpg

The knot was made on one end of the rope..

91.jpg

With needle it will be pushed through the sail.. if the hole is big enough, the reef line can be frozen with CA glue on one end and that end can be pushed thru the hole... this way no need for needle..

92.jpg

On the other side of the sail, the another knot was made..

96.jpg

The string is pooled and the knot was finished on the sail..

97a.jpg

99.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

The knots were frozen with a drop of diluted PVA glue on each knot.. and dried with the hot gun (on lowest heat setting)...

103.jpg

Haircut time..

104.jpg

106.jpg

One row is completed..

107.jpg

Happy modelling...

Last edited:
Reef points installation process..

Mark it on the sail..

View attachment 249081

The knot was made on one end of the rope..

View attachment 249080

With needle it will be pushed through the sail.. if the hole is big enough, the reef line can be frozen with CA glue on one end and that end can be pushed thru the hole... this way no need for needle..

View attachment 249079

On the other side of the sail, the another knot was made..

View attachment 249075

The string is pooled and the knot was finished on the sail..

View attachment 249073

View attachment 249071

View attachment 249069

View attachment 249068

The knots were frozen with a drop of diluted PVA glue on each knot.. and dried with the hot gun (on lowest heat setting)...

View attachment 249067

Haircut time..

View attachment 249066

View attachment 249064

One row is completed..

View attachment 249063

Happy modelling...
very accurate work, well done Thumbsup Thumbsup :)

A bit of a white glue, diluted 50/50 to freeze the reef band...

108.jpg

A bunch of reef lines were pre-cut, a knot was tight on one end and opposite end frozen with a drop of CA glue so it can easily go thru the hole..

110.jpg

109.jpg

111.jpg

Once all lines with a knot were pushed thru the sail and secured with a drop of white glue, the work on opposite side started by making another knot... Then all lines were cut to the length..

112.jpg

Just to break a bit from reef lines, started to work on attaching a sail to the yard....

113.jpg

116.jpg

... first attaching the corners of a sail with a strangle knot...

114.jpg

The holes for robands were also predrilled..

115.jpg

117.jpg

Then it becomes very hot in my little workshop so continue tomorrow...

Happy modelling...

Working on blocks, different sizes, for different yards... a bit of serial production.

153.jpg

141.jpg142.jpg

157.jpg

156.jpg

155a.jpg

155.jpg

144.jpg

143.jpg

151.jpg

I used a bit of CA glue to freeze the block and now rope is slightly stiff; need to massage it so it will fit around the yard..

154.jpg

154a.jpg

A foot rope is also installed; slightly different approach this time. First i made an eye...

146.jpg

Cut it with extra length...

147.jpg

then drag the main rope line thru with a help from this fancy tool...149.jpg

148.jpg

150.jpg

152.jpg

The the lines were tight to the yard in appropriate length..

158.jpg

159.jpg

I will adjust foot rope to look a bit more realistic...

Happy modelling...

Last edited:
Marking the position of reef lines...

160.jpg

Production line, knot making process...

161.jpg

Freezing the top of a line with a drop of CA glue...

162.jpg

163.jpg

After making holes in the sail, the reef lines are pushed thru...

164.jpg

50/50 diluted white glue assist keeping the knot positioned...

165.jpg

The ship cradle, once turned up side down, serves as a good, small table for tasks that require precision and patience.. this is part of making a knot on the other side of the line..

166.jpg

167.jpg

168.jpg

169.jpg

After reef lines haircut is done... few lines still need a bit of adjustment...

170.jpg

Next sail, S1..

171.jpg

and completed...

172.jpg

Happy modelling..

Making few 0.3mm ropes, using crochet lines and Golden oak stain. I usually cut the lines in 1mm length, deep one line at a time in the stain and pull it out, at the time i drop the whole line in the stain. This prevents a line to stay in the stain for too long. This allows me to somehow control the beige colour shade of the lines.. then let it dry for a day...

180.jpg

181.jpg

It is time to bring the model back on the table...

181a.jpg

... and to replace the plan

182.jpg

All sails appears to be done..

183.jpg

Work will start on a jib by making a holes for rings.. and making 7 rings in 3mm diameter. The rings are blackened and polished before mounted on the sail..

184.jpg

Then the sail is attached ...

186.jpg

185.jpg

Then a tack cringle is attached to the parrel using a simple square knot. Next, the halyard is attached to the head of the sail..

188.jpg

... and it will be tight to the cleat using a 3.5 mm block with an iron hook..

187.jpg

189.jpg

190.jpg

191.jpg

Happy modelling...

Moreplovac, I warned you earlier about this tackle. There is an error in the drawings and instructions. This tackle must be removed along with the block. I moved it to the right of the mast. It will prevent you from setting foresail with a sail, and foresail topsail. Your sail will rest against this tackle and will not be able to fill with wind.185.jpg

Moreplovac, I warned you earlier about this tackle. There is an error in the drawings and instructions. This tackle must be removed along with the block. I moved it to the right of the mast. It will prevent you from setting foresail with a sail, and foresail topsail. Your sail will rest against this tackle and will not be able to fill with wind.View attachment 256229
Do you have a picture to share?

Back