Brigantine Phoenix, by Master Korabel

Jimsky

Administrative
Staff member
Administrative
Joined
Nov 3, 2018
Messages
4,316
Points
688

Location
Brooklyn, New York USA
I can only add myself to Janos and Nigel's comments, awesome work! Many thanks for step-by-step photo-instructions, I am sure it will come handy for others. We learn from each other Thumbs-Up
 
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
433
Points
268

Location
Vancouver, BC
Excellent work,your cannons look fantasticThumbsupIf I may suggest,you could give the cap squares a light rub with a soft,say 4B Pencil to make them look more metallic similar to the cannon barrels

Kind Regards

Nigel
Certainly, all comments are welcome..

Thanks for suggesting, this goes back to my plastic models era..

Will do it..

Cheers
 
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
433
Points
268

Location
Vancouver, BC
I can only add myself to Janos and Nigel's comments, awesome work! Many thanks for step-by-step photo-instructions, I am sure it will come handy for others. We learn from each other Thumbs-Up
NP, most of the times the building process is soo interesting that just drag you to continue and taking photos is kind of side work.. :)

Cheers
 
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
433
Points
268

Location
Vancouver, BC
Managed to cover all cannons with a layer of oil...



Before and after



I will be adding additional pins to make the carriage a bit more interesting. For that i used 0.4mm wire, cut in 3mm length and decided to round the wire top so it does not look uncompleted, with cutting marks, etc.

For that i use a small concave bur that will, hopefully do the clean up job...



And the pin...

IMG_2655-1.jpg.a7fa00a6e631f457cff0c3935878ee10.jpg


It looks nice and clean.

Continue making these little pins..

Happy modeling.
 
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
433
Points
268

Location
Vancouver, BC
Little pins were made and ready for installation.

First i made a pilot hole with a needle in the carriage. Then drilled a hole, 0.45mm with Proxxon and pushed pins in.

The final adjustment push was done with opposite end of the surgical scalpel as it has kind of triangular end, small enough to push the pin in without damaging the wood..




During the hole drilling process the drill leaves a tiny marks that was corrected with touch of oil, the same one used to cover the carriage..

On the above photo, it is a shinier part of carriage that has a new oil layer..




This is a "brush" used to apply oil: piece of bounty hold in tweezers.. Very sophisticated..

And all 12 cannons completed...

IMG_2664-3.thumb.jpg.6bcf28725a793a922364501bda1aec36.jpg

I have ordered a new rigging ropes; the ropes are on its way so will continue with cannons once ropes arrive..

Happy modeling.
 
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
433
Points
268

Location
Vancouver, BC
Been wanting to do a Master Korabel kit for awhile, What would be your biggest recommendation or complaint?
So far not much to complain about; it is small scale for sure but with recent experience with Sultana, not many problems there.
The kit appears to be very well made, precise, lots of details and very detailed plans;
Need to sand those laser burning marks well, kit included wood is of good quality.
Ropes are in different shade of beige so will replace them with other brand. It will be interesting to work on those precut planks, never worked with those before..

Will keep up with detailed posts as build progresses..

Cheers
 
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
433
Points
268

Location
Vancouver, BC
Still waiting for ropes to arrive, so in the meantime, i continue to add a few more details to the gun carriage...

Simple made a pilot holes first, drill a hole and insert a piece of a wire, cut the extend and push it in with opposite end of scalpel holder.

Pilot holes and holes drilled..







During this process, accident could happen... pressing to hard with a scalpel holder and snap...





But it can be fixed correctly..



All cannons completed. Next will add a small eyebolt, train tackle loop.

1583698679057.png

Happy modeling.
 
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
433
Points
268

Location
Vancouver, BC
While waiting for this virus outbreak to leave us alone, continue making eye bolts...

First the spring was made out 0.3mm wire, using 0.9mm drill bit..



Then rings were cut out of it, one at a time since i dont have small enough wire cutters to cut few of them at once..



The flakes of solder were cut as well...



Small amount of soldering paste was applied to ring and, lets call it a leg, was positioned in such a way so it touches the ring, in the place where the ring circle is closing.. and tiny piece of soldering flake was added to..



And soldering can start, small amount of flame, kind of easy cooking process..



The end result...



For next batch of eye bolts, i prepared a small assembly line: several eye bolts lined up, ready to be solder....



Sometimes that small solder flake just does not want to stay put... second eye bolt needs resoldering..



Then i decided to make a soldering balls out of solder flakes, just to make it a bit more fun..



The assembly line does not change a lot..



Completed eyebolts and parts waiting for assembly..



These sets of eyebolts will be used to attach the cannon rope to the ship... the smaller eyebolts will be attached to the cannons....

All cannons completed and waiting for a rope...

IMG_2709-9.thumb.jpg.1e2149257f87544c5c46a7fb1f1fa570.jpg

Happy modeling..
 
Top