Brigantine Phoenix, by Master Korabel [COMPLETED BUILD]

The instructions are fairly acceptable but few extra pictures will be beneficial. Particularly in the way how to make sure you can remove the frames easily from the jig.
The frames must be easily get on and off the jig; learned the hard way and broke one frame.. managed to fix it.

IMG_2717-7.jpg

Everything you need to build the boat is included in one ziplock-type bag; very interesting... but the frames and other parts are very tiny and prone to breakage..

IMG_2716-7.jpg

Keel removed and assembled...

IMG_2718-7.jpg

Continue with a work today.

Happy modeling.

Hi Moreplovac, I hope you didn't glue parts 2R and 2L to the keel (step #1) as they have to be faired first (red line). Most-likely the instruction written in Russian,

While still waiting for ropes to arrive, the work on ship boat continues..

The frames were removed with a little help of a ammonium, and jig was cleaned by sanding it all around. And yes, did i mention these parts are fragile...

Particular attention and caution should be applied when cutting parts of the board. Very tiny parts....

IMG_2734-2.jpg.cdcd83540984adfc4163b28d1821e2cf.jpg

Did i mention parts are fragile!

IMG_2738-2.jpg.cce1f415317ec8b42c7bd887fcd13051.jpg

Boards are soaked for easy manipulation. They need just a little twist to be able to lay down correctly. They might break dough...

IMG_2743-2.jpg

Happy modeling.

I like these small models for the ship's boats. I am still using the Russian (?) method (plug, covered with glad wrap) but this technique is better.
Janos

I would go with the same technique you have mentioned but also like to see how this goes. And this kit is kind of a plus version with boat included so might as well try it..

Cheers

Yeah, and there is the luxury of having the small things pre-cut. I would have gone this way if I had the choice. Looking forward to seeing the progress!
Janos

Well, planking time it is...

Getting ready for planking, ribs are all glued and installed, brief hull sanding, and lets get it done..

First plank... cut it, sanded and dipped in the water for easy twisting.. i started with super glue..

For first two ribs, i use super glue so i don't have to keep pressing longer. For all other ribs (frames) i use carpenter's glue to glue plank. It takes a bit longer to dry but have a bit more time to adjust the plank. All excess glue needs to be removed before dropping a plank in the place.

IMG_2757-1.jpg.090389a1b513b3ade2d340c11852f742.jpg

IMG_2758-1.jpg.1f2ad520e81d0cd3191f08fb04f8d925.jpg

1584860121350.png

Work continues tomorrow.

Happy modeling.

Nothing exciting to report.

Planking was completed on the boat. A bit of a planking touch up is still needed, final touches with scraping and sanding... a layer of danish oil will be applied at the end... The planks are well cut and do not require much of effort to be installed.

IMG_2767-1.thumb.jpg.31ed37bef655d1dccfa9435a9a8090bf.jpg

Happy modeling.

Planking has been completed...

... some scrapping and sanding done to smooth the planks.

IMG_2776-1.jpg.1fbbed7b8f06804380c36c799d3d2f3c.jpg

Some of those ribs have been broken during the sanding process..

Now it is time to remove the jig from the boat... carefully breaking it..

And done, the jig was removed..

During the breaking process, one of the ribs, the last one broke. Even doung it will not be visible, need a fix. Out of the some cut piece, i made a replacement. Bit of sanding, filing, testing, fitting....

and all is good again..

Rest of the ribs were installed. First a short water bath, gentle twist and installation in the spot.

IMG_2788-1.thumb.jpg.f62119aeca955429465676016cf22bee.jpg

There are some glue left particles that will be visible so i need to remove them once all ribs are in place.

Happy modeling.

@moreplovac I don't know it you have seen my previous message, but in youtube, searching by master korabel phoenix you will find a 25part tutorial about phoenix. It is russian but I think it is very detailed and very helpful.

Regards

JL

@moreplovac I don't know it you have seen my previous message, but in youtube, searching by master korabel phoenix you will find a 25part tutorial about phoenix. It is russian but I think it is very detailed and very helpful.

Regards

JL

Yes, i am also watching it but unfortunately mu russian is very limited, so just pictures. Later in the serial there are some english subtitles available..
So i am using combination of that video tutorial and instructions that are with kit...

Thanks

Back