Brigantine Phoenix, by Master Korabel [COMPLETED BUILD]

Now the waterways have to be adjusted to fit new stanchion size, no problem there...

IMG_0340.jpeg

Continue with waterways on stern... For some reason one waterway plank is not fitting correctly on one side...

IMG_0341.jpeg

The other side is fine...

IMG_0342.jpeg

So, little bit of surgery will be needed. The new part was made out of the spare wood laying around. There are plenty of left over wood which can be used for various replacement tasks. Really like that 'feature'. It will be very difficult to find correct veneer size/shape if all parts are cut very tight to save some cost, like with some other manufacturers...

IMG_0343.jpeg

Traced, cut, shaped, glued...

IMG_0344.jpeg

and installed... All good.

IMG_0345.jpeg

Then started to work on cap rails... one at a time. Some fitting is required but not a problem... Very good kit so far...

IMG_0346.jpeg

Happy modelling.

During the process of removing cap rails from the frame, i accidentally broke one... and realized that thickness of them was made by gluing two layers of veneers together...

IMG_0356.jpeg

In all these, a good news was that only one layer was broken so i carefully removed remittance of the broken layer which gives me a an option to glue a good layer to another piece of the veneer of the same size (two layers) ending up with a cap rail in three layers thickness.

IMG_0357.jpeg

After gluing there was just a mater of removing one extra veneer layer which was done with assistance of few drops of acetone..

IMG_0359.jpeg

Then cap rails were glued in the position and fixed with rubber bands..

IMG_0361.jpeg

The rest of the cap rails on main deck were installed...

IMG_0364.jpeg

IMG_0365.jpeg

Sanding and fitting of all cap rails will be next...

Happy modelling..

Last edited:
Continue with work on the hull..

IMG_0381.jpeg

Blackening of the window decoration is next. Cut, sanded, and a quick bath in blackening solution..

IMG_0382.jpeg

IMG_0383.jpeg

IMG_0384.jpeg

The blackening solution was sanded ..

IMG_0385.jpeg

Mounted around windows.

IMG_0387.jpeg

Then more decorating...

IMG_0388.jpeg

I am protecting window and frames with a piece of bounty and a transparent tape. Then i thought about it and replaced scotch tape with painter's yellow tape for delicate surfaces. It looks that scotch tape can pull up veneer parts..

At this moment not quite happy with veneer in layers, mixed feelings....

IMG_0389.jpeg

Managed to get it done, the cap rails are completed.

IMG_0391.jpeg

If this work from home due to Covid continues i am going to finish this build fairly quickly.

Happy modelling...

A little bit of a filling is required to make sure all edge lines are as smooth as possible. Here is a need that gap between veneer and wood is filled with a putty and sanded..

IMG_0397.jpeg

Completed. I use wood putty, Elmer's brand but any will do the trick.

IMG_0401.jpeg

A bit of the same corrective surgery is needed around windows as well..

IMG_0402.jpeg

The wale veneer has a bit of a light black shade and it is different than the shade of the rest of black veneer so i decided to paint them in flat black.. Still researching for a decent airbrush-compressor combo (would appreciate feedback from you guys about good airbrush combo), the painting is done by hand..
There are few spots to correct after but overall satisfied with result. The cap rails were also painted in the same matching colour.

IMG_0412.jpeg

Happy modelling.

Work continues by installing jumbs around gun ports.. There are three wood pieces in the kit for this purpose but i would use a different one that is a bit more wider so it allow more precise sanding and fitting...

Lets start then...

IMG_0413.jpeg

Measuring, cutting with a guillotine, glue, sand...

IMG_0415.jpeg

A bit of a sanding after all...

IMG_0416.jpeg

Happy modelling...

Back