Brigantine Phoenix, by Master Korabel [COMPLETED BUILD]

While i still investigate/testing other options to make the chainplate straps as they are presented on the above picture and to keep the momentum going, i decided to go with old, trusted way of making a straps - two wires soldered together.

First, start with twisting the wire around object that has diameter slightly smaller than deadeyes..

3.jpg

Insert the deadeye..

4.jpg

5.jpg

Apply small amount of soldering paste..

6.jpg

Add solder, previously flattened...

7.jpg

Solder it with a mini torch..

8.jpg

Make sure deadeye stay correctly and that strap is flat..

9.jpg

10.jpg

All of them are done, no extras...

11.jpg

Clean them up with 1000 steel wool

11а.jpg

Color them with a flat black paint...

23.jpg

The opposite end of the strip, was flattened a bit by squeezing it and a small hole was drilled thru. This hole is for a pin that will be used to hold the strip to the ship.

Start installing them on the ship making sure they follow the rope line...

22.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Small touch up paint job will be required as well..

25.jpg

These are casualties from my attempts.
Will use most of wires as pins in the future steps so it material is not quite wasted.

24.jpg

Happy modelling..

Last edited:
3mm channel deadeyes and straps were installed. The installation process is the same as with 5mm, just 3mm will use custom made pins, out of 3mm copper wire.
The location of channel deadeye was tested with a rope attached to the mast that was temporary inserted in the ship. The mast for this purpose is not the one that will actually be added to the ship; it is just a left over stick in the correct size and length...
The channel deadeye/channel was put in position, the needle will mark the place for a pilot hole...

1.jpg

Strap will be glued and pin will be inserted in the hole. Pin was made out of 3mm copper wire, hammering one end to look like the semi-real pin..

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The same process was done for rest of the straps, 2mm and 3mm. Next pins were first rounded and inserted in the position. Length of the pins is appr 6mm.

6.jpg

All completed and touch up paint applied...

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Did not have a time to use my real camera so DOF is not quite appropriate...

11.jpg

12.jpg

The layer of varnish will be applied to channels, etc...

Happy modelling..

Last edited:
It it time to put some armaments on this ship... lets start with breeching ropes..

After rough measurements, i cut 12 ropes to the correct length...

1.jpg

Then lets start rigging...

2.jpg

In order to freeze breeching rope seizing, the best tool is modified glue extension; very tiny drops is all what is needed.

3.jpg

My temporary work bench for close up works...

4.jpg

Few completed...

5.jpg

Ok, ok, no worries, you will all get your moustaches...

6.jpg

7.jpg

Done with breeching ropes.

Now it is time to make 24 eye bolts. I have done those before but don't like the thickness of them so decided to make new set.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Happy modelling...

Next, i was installing the anchor cable... the cable was wrapped around the windlass few times and fixed with a small amount of a glue. The cable was tied to the eyebolts installed on the deck. After that, the cable was fixed to the deck with a glue...

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Anchors were tied to the cable....

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Overall view for installed anchor cables..

10.jpg

Happy modelling...

As much as this virus thingy is weird and put some limitations, for me working from home has some benefits: when tired, just turn around and start building the ship...

So, double-blocks for 'anchors are next to be worked on. The piece of wire was wrapped around the block, twisted lightly on one end, cut and removed from the block. Then the wire was soldered and block was inserted again back. This process is a bit tight making sure not to damage the block as well as newly made hook. The hook was completed after the block had the wire around itself. Then it was dipped into blackening solvent for a few seconds, washed and dried on paper.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Friends together...

3.jpg

You might notice that i used different blocks than the one coming with the kit. The reason is that during the process of making the wire/hook i broken two blocks, too fragile. I glued them together so i might be using them again later...

Assembly process...

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

Happy modelling..

Installing the ship boat is a next task. First, i made a lanyard for a boat's line... As i dont have an adequate lathe, i used parts provided in the kit. Cut them of the frame, filed the ends and glue them together so they can hold while i drop small amount of solder in between ends...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I decided to add two more details on the ship boat, not quite sure what is the correct term but these should hold the launch's masts..

4.jpg

5.jpg

Back to lanyards...

Installed a pair but i was not quite happy with appearing so i decided to make a new pair.

6.jpg

7.jpg

During installation one hook snapped so i have to replace that as well..

8.jpg

Finally, all in place ready for a boat.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Hooks have been made and installed on the lanyard...

While on the other side i am working hooking up hooks, the simple wire is making sure the distance will stay approximately the same for both ropes...

8.jpg

In the process of seizing..

7.jpg

It took me about one hour to have hooks built and attached...

5.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Happy modelling...

Started to work on bowsprit... The work starting by widening the deck opening for a bowsprit. Always a scary part, rotation tool in the use on the fragile wooden construction.. but managed to widen the opening without any damage, except the dust. Mental note for a future, always do this part as earliest as possible in the building process...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Getting to look like a real ship...

3.jpg

Some shaping work is required... to have bowsprit' heel fitting properly.. Here is a place where i made some mistake, cutting a bit more wood that needed. Down the building i corrected it by inserting a small piece of wood...

4.jpg

The bowsprit is narrowed down on one end and i used combination of mini plane, sanding paper and small woodworking lathe.. Comparing to the plan it is very easy process..

5.jpg

The opposite end of the heel has to be vertical so bowsprit need to be in inserted int he ship for this... This end will be shaped square and inserted in a cap. Cap has to be narrowed to fit the plan correctly..

6.jpg

The marking lines on the cap showing how much shaping is needed; the shaping is done until lines are not visible...

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

The similar shaping process takes place while making a jib-boom..

10.jpg

Testing it out a bit..

11.jpg

Assembling the bowsprit's bee blocks is next by making sure holes in both parts are aligned correctly.

12.jpg

13.jpg

The weird look thru the cap...

14.jpg

Here you can see i have to use a bit of wood filler which will not be visible at the end of the process..

Some other parts are also glued...

16.jpg

15.jpg

Happy modelling..

Last edited:
Getting ready to drill two holes in martingale boom.....

1.jpg

4mm wire was used to hold it in place...

2.jpg

3.jpg

I drop a bit of a glue on the boom to keep it in place while tightening the wire..

4.jpg

5.jpg

The jack staff was made out of a toothpick..

6.jpg

The top part (here marked as V4) was made using a piece of wood, shaping it while in rotary tool (poor-man lathe). The part originally in the kit, was lost...

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

All parts are stained...

11.jpg

Happy modelling...

Back