Brigantine Phoenix, by Master Korabel [COMPLETED BUILD]

It is getting very packed up here...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

For the tiny spots normal scissors does not work well, so i got a clippers, very sharp pedicure/manicure tool, strongly suggested..

4.jpg

Continue with rigging... end result...

8.jpg

and the process.. there is a need for two blocks, the rigging was done the same for both blocks, but line was inserted differently.. first approach, no block..

6.jpg

Second approach, block first...

5.jpg

7.jpg

And mounted on the mast...

9.jpg

10.jpg

The whole foremast...

11.jpg

Mainmast is next..

Happy modelling..

A work on main mast continues with some progress photos, in no particular order. I have received some jewelry nylon string, in different sizes from Griffin i would like to try using on the ship.

So will see how it goes...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

A bit of a building process is also shown..

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

Here i used a bit of a CA glue to hold blocks in place..

11.jpg

12.jpg

9.jpg

Happy modelling..

Work on the martingale stay and the martingale backstay is next. For this part since i dont have a metal lathe to build my own metal ring, i have to use a block, carefully drill the hole through it and sand it down a bit. With black color this should simulate a ring nicely.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The next photos shows the build process.

11.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Forgot to reposition the anchor as this anchor rope position does not quite feel right..

Happy modelling.

Now the spritsail yard can be attached. But before this the footrope and thimbles are installed.
Before installation i have tied one end of the spritsail hard sling to the yard.

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Following suggestion from some other modeller' blog, i decided not to cut the rope and align the ends, instead i simply seized all three ropes.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

Happy modelling...

Your rigging works, blocks, ropes etc. are looking very good - many thanks also for the close-up photos - very informative

Foremast is on and rigging can start...
The shrouds are installing alternating between sides, First, on the starboard then on the port side then again on the starboard and the port side..
Two shrouds are tie together with a short seizing knot and to visually lengthen it, few more loops are added.
After all eight shrouds are installed the deadeyes can be rigged..

1.jpg

2.jpg

I have tried to correctly tie deadeyes, but for this scale was not quite visible so i decided to skip the correct way.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Happy modelling..

Shrouds are completed, deadeyes rigged, lanyards installed.. and not tightened up yet..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I still did not realize the "small" mistake..

The sheer battens was made out of 0.6mm wire, blackened and polished..

4.jpg

5.jpg

And installed..

6.jpg

7.jpg

Then i started to look at deadeyes, lanyards length, the distance between deadeyes (small mistake mentioned above), the bulkiness at the seizing above deadeyes, the various length of lanyards making the deadeyes not at the same level, so decision is made...

8.jpg

Heart breaking moment.. fast reverse to the previous stage...

9.jpg

So lets start again by replacing the shrouds, etc...

11.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

I know overall this might not be a "big" mistake but i will be seeing it any time i look at the model..

Happy modelling..

Last edited:
Back