broken keel on bluenose

I was wondering on how to repair the keel on my bluenose. I've cracked it three times, and considering putting a thin layer of walnut on each side to hide the blemishes of wood glue and cover the keel that way. any Ideas?? Thanks in advance

I was wondering on how to repair the keel on my bluenose. I've cracked it three times, and considering putting a thin layer of walnut on each side to hide the blemishes of wood glue and cover the keel that way. any Ideas?? Thanks in advance
Maybe you show us the problem with a photo, so we can try to give a hint for repair

At this point I think you should cover and blend it in to the hull planking. The saddle is a good idea. I take a section of a pool noodle cut in half. Use duct tape to hold the edge together so the flat cut area is on the table with the humps facing up. Set the keel in the crease of the humps. You could glue the pool noodle to a board the keep them from moving and you can reuse the boat rest.

At this point I think you should cover and blend it in to the hull planking. The saddle is a good idea. I take a section of a pool noodle cut in half. Use duct tape to hold the edge together so the flat cut area is on the table with the humps facing up. Set the keel in the crease of the humps. You could glue the pool noodle to a board the keep them from moving and you can reuse the boat rest.

4238E38B-2F80-4B96-BFE5-A99AF1794FA8.jpeg

This a rather intriguing question that raises some other questions:
(By the way, I am assuming your question concerns the YQ Bluenose.)
1) What's the build stage at which you encounter breakage?
2) What were you trying to do when breakage occurred?
3) Where and which parts of the frame broke?
4) Did you already try to repair your keel and, if yes, what did you do?
Oh, and by the way, some pictures would be nice...

Hallo @bluenose
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Yes. Cover with thinner strips that match the hull. I cover mine anyway to hide the parts that are glued together

Back