Budget hull clamps

An option it to "waste one" by taking the wire grips out and insetting one in place of the wood strip. Get two for one! Here are a couple of views of the clamp. These are the small size but they can be made using a medium size as well. PT-2 (Rich)BInder Clip Clamps.jpg
The cheapest planking clamps I''ve ever come across were about $1.50 for 20 of them - clips from the dollar store, a strip of basswood and 20 drops of CA.

An option it to "waste one" by taking the wire grips out and insetting one in place of the wood strip. Get two for one! Here are a couple of views of the clamp. These are the small size but they can be made using a medium size as well. PT-2 (Rich)View attachment 191974
Thanks for the tip, Rich. I’ve used clips like this as clamps with the wood strip. Never an extra wire grip. Holds more securely. Great idea!

Thanks for the tip, Rich. I’ve used clips like this as clamps with the wood strip. Never an extra wire grip. Holds more securely. Great idea!
I cannot claim credit as I saw it months ago on SoS but don't recall who put it up. Not all clips have the same strength so I sorted out the weak ones once I was aware of that issue. I think that Gilles Korent of the canoe group mentioned that issue.

Back