Buffing between paintlayers

Any difference in using the 400/600 wet versus dry?

I know wet sanding can leave a bit of mess if not careful.

I need to get good prep done on my Skip Jack now that I have a place to work and room to set up airbrush again.

kkonrath, yes wet sanding can get messy but it does give the smoothest finish. Dry sanding leaves a mess also but it is a dry one - which is sometimes harder to clean up, although a vacuum usually does the trick. If you sand either wet or dry your surface must be "tacked" off with a good tack cloth - usually available anywhere paint is sold. It is a waxy cheese-cloth that picks up and traps any particles of dust or paint that may be on the surface of your work. Also dry sanding can leave small scratches in your surface that may or may not show up in your final finish, but if you are using a 600 grit they should be minor.

I dont use steel wool for wood as it likes to leave wire embedded in the wood. as mentioned 400-600 wet sand works well. I've even used progressive to 12,000 grit for a nicly polished finish. Requiring no gloss coat. I use micro mesh for alot of polishing work. For small stuff I use CA glue spread over the part once its polished and then re-polish the CA layer for a hard protective finish. I prefer this method of wood polishing because I can better control the final finish I want. Be it matte up to super glossy. As mentioned a tack cloth is a must have even if applying a store bought finish. I found Harbor Frieght sells great tack clothes for around $1.00 they are decent size and multi use if your trying to stretch a buck. Best of luck on your finish work.

I dont use steel wool for wood as it likes to leave wire embedded in the wood. as mentioned 400-600 wet sand works well. I've even used progressive to 12,000 grit for a nicly polished finish. Requiring no gloss coat. I use micro mesh for alot of polishing work. For small stuff I use CA glue spread over the part once its polished and then re-polish the CA layer for a hard protective finish. I prefer this method of wood polishing because I can better control the final finish I want. Be it matte up to super glossy. As mentioned a tack cloth is a must have even if applying a store bought finish. I found Harbor Frieght sells great tack clothes for around $1.00 they are decent size and multi use if your trying to stretch a buck. Best of luck on your finish work.
I agree epicdoom, working with wood building my R/C planes, Ive used roof shingle 60 grit to 1200 grit! I see working with these boat woods 400-600 es after a wood sealer would definitely give a polished finish for a paint or stain finish! Like in the picture here I will finish sand with a 600 grit after the sealer dries! I sealed the wood so when painting, the hungry wood doesn’t soak up the pain, but it will coat nicely,

AF27F387-9C5C-4854-82F5-A1088D92B20C.jpeg

Back