Build Log: 1/200 Titanic (Trumpeter)

Michelle here, reporting in on the beginning of our build. Brian and I opened our kit and add-ons yesterday, a Christmas gift from my parents. We worked on and completed drilling out portholes. Photo shows the hull lit by our headlamps. 2C7861F3-D9E8-431F-A6BD-49EC0BA6664C.jpeg We used drill sizes 1/16, 5/64 & 7/64, chosen to approximate the porthole outlines on the Trumpeter hull.
Next major step will be to dry fit the running gear motors and shafts along with the hull bracing.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new kit! I received the same one for Christmas, with the MK1 upgrade kit. I’m assuming you’re building your for RC, since you have electric motors. Are the bulkheads to support this as well?
Not planning RC, just think spinning props will look “cool”. I’m working on installation of prop shafts now, will post pics soon…

Congratulations on your gift and the team effort. You might like to check out the following builds on youtube. I use them for my reference: Midwest Model Shop and The Model Boat Guy Titanic. Both are using upgrades and motorising the hull. Cheers Francis

Congratulations on your gift and the team effort. You might like to check out the following builds on youtube. I use them for my reference: Midwest Model Shop and The Model Boat Guy Titanic. Both are using upgrades and motorising the hull. Cheers Francis
Been watching both of those, and found Daryl K on YouTube also doing a 1/200 Titanic build. I’ve got plenty of detail / prep work to keep me busy, meanwhile, Brian is waiting for the paint kit. My father is a Lionel guy and offered to loan us his spray kit. I helped my dad with layouts, paint and decaling when I was very young, maybe 8? I was small enough to climb across the layout and did a lot of the work on the mountain and tunnel into the other half of the basement.

Hello BMjones,
I am an amateur and don't familiar with RC modeling in terms of how the motors will be set up. However, in just my observations the propellers set up incorrectly? The centered propeller should be 4 bladed propeller? Again, don't treat it as a statement, it is more the question I would love to know the answer. Here is the famous photo from Titanic.

1641180945306.png

Hello BMjones,
I am an amateur and don't familiar with RC modeling in terms of how the motors will be set up. However, in just my observations the propellers set up incorrectly? The centered propeller should be 4 bladed propeller? Again, don't treat it as a statement, it is more the question I would love to know the answer. Here is the famous photo from Titanic.

View attachment 280248
I read that the famous photo you posted wasn’t Titanic, but was in fact the Olympic. Depends whose info you believe. Robert Ballard said the 3 vs 4 was unable to be determined from the wreck. I read that the Olympic tested the 4 blade and it was not successful, so Titanic was given the 3 blade. Other sources say Titanic was to test the new 4 blade. So who do you believe? My upgrade came with the 3 blade, so I’m using that.

Hello BMjones,

View attachment 280248
Hey Jim,
You've probably had a bunch of replies, but that picture is actually of Olympic. According to research, there are no know pics of Titanic's propeller setup. However, there is design/engineering documentation which implies the ship had a three bladed centre propeller, and this topic has been a hot point for discussion over past years. Much so, that options are provided for both versions when building the kit. :) Cheers.

Hey Jim,
You've probably had a bunch of replies, but that picture is actually of Olympic. According to research, there are no know pics of Titanic's propeller setup. However, there is design/engineering documentation which implies the ship had a three bladed centre propeller, and this topic has been a hot point for discussion over past years. Much so, that options are provided for both versions when building the kit. :) Cheers.
Many thanks for a detailed explanation, Steve and Jones, it is much appreciated. I had two questions one of which you guys resolved. The second question was about the right versus left bladed propellers, Do they turn opposite directions? In the picture of the Olympic (above), the propellers are right-handed and left-handed, by looking at the blades of props.

Many thanks for a detailed explanation, Steve and Jones, it is much appreciated. I had two questions one of which you guys resolved. The second question was about the right versus left bladed propellers, Do they turn opposite directions? In the picture of the Olympic (above), the propellers are right-handed and left-handed, by looking at the blades of props.
Hey Jim,
I'm no marine engineer, but from my limited understanding the port and starboard props are right and left handed in order to provide equal flow/force against the rudder with both engines running to create an effective turning moment. If both props were the same direction one would be forcing water flow against the rudder, whilst the other would be moving it away. Does that make sense? That's my limited understanding mate; more than happy to be corrected. :)

Michelle here, reporting in on the beginning of our build. Brian and I opened our kit and add-ons yesterday, a Christmas gift from my parents. We worked on and completed drilling out portholes. Photo shows the hull lit by our headlamps. View attachment 278302 We used drill sizes 1/16, 5/64 & 7/64, chosen to approximate the porthole outlines on the Trumpeter hull.
Next major step will be to dry fit the running gear motors and shafts along with the hull bracing.
Hallo @BMJones52
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Michelle here, reporting in on the beginning of our build. Brian and I opened our kit and add-ons yesterday, a Christmas gift from my parents. We worked on and completed drilling out portholes. Photo shows the hull lit by our headlamps. View attachment 278302 We used drill sizes 1/16, 5/64 & 7/64, chosen to approximate the porthole outlines on the Trumpeter hull.
Hallo Michelle alias @BMJones52
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back