Build Log Artesania Latina "La Pinta" - [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good morning. Been catching up on your Pinta. Nice!! I love your rope detail eg. Around the ladder steps, over the cannons, the buckets, holding the barrels (hopefully with some rum;)) etc. The cannon balls in the box - excellent. The little details are magic. Cheers Grant

I agree with the previous comments - I think the planking turned out fine. Can we expect to see a Shellac-finished hull?
Not this time around. I gave my jar of shellac to the art centre photography students, They spray a thin coat on fruit, vegetables and baking to make them look extra fresh and yummy before taking still photographs. When they finish the photo sessions the items are eatable so to them it's a win win situation. :) and to me a shellac jar loss :(

Good morning. Been catching up on your Pinta. Nice!! I love your rope detail eg. Around the ladder steps, over the cannons, the buckets, holding the barrels (hopefully with some rum;)) etc. The cannon balls in the box - excellent. The little details are magic. Cheers Grant
Very kind encouraging comments Mr GrantTyler. I do spin some very tangled messes like this one today. Redface

Tangles n Rope.png

Did some work on the masts. Followed AL instructions but could only get glue all over my fingers but not on the cut-up strengtheners. Decided to use some invisible cellotape attach the pieces onto the sticky side, square off and glue on the mast bases in one piece.

90_La Pinta Strengtheners1.png

Attaching as one piece per mast and tying up with spare rope made life easy. Pic 'A' Foremast, 'B' Mainmast, 'C' mizzen mast tied in waiting for glue to set.

91_La Pinta Strengtheners2.png

Eye sight isn't the sharp shooter version of my 20's and its been challenging findling with the ropes etc. During lunch I took a large tooth pick drilled hole through its centre and inserted a cut-off sewing needle.. Hey presto! my own DIY rigging tool. ;)

93_La Pinta Rigging tool.png

Last edited:
Today was the best day to be outside and have more Rope Walk practice. Day was clear, warm and sunny, perfect for not being inside. When all the twisting is finished and before removing the rope (hope it's rope) I check via a photo negative viewer to make sure a 45 degree angle is achieved. If not a few more turns makes for a happy me. (bad camera iphone poor focus)

94_La Pinta More Rope 3x4.png

Stuck as to how to tie in or attach the formast standing rigging. I could not follow or understand the instructions so here I am Stuck until later when I end up doing another Sinatra.

98_La Pinta.png

How does one get rid of or flatten the knot on the first deadeye threading? It looks terrible and despite many many efforts to make it flatter or less protruding all that is achieved are numerous discarded knots and much wasted thread. I can't for the life of me pull those knots tighter to make them smaller. Any suggestions or is the knot as is acceptable?

Lanyards to Deadeyes.png

Cool! very much appreciated, thank you Thomas The foremast and mizzen mast I have already done myway but certainly will attempt as per the drawing on the main mast. So much to learn. Where did you find/get the above drawings from? my searches were fruitless. Cheers.

Back