Baltimore Clipper Ship "Harvey/1847" 1:50 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

There is a whole set of instructions on this site already in PDF format. Scroll down and you will see them (there are about 8 or so)
I scanned the instructions and the two files (booklet and plan sheets) total about 11 MB. Apparently that is too big a file to attach in the forum but still small enough to email. Please provide me your email address and I will be happy to email to you.

I am building the Harvey, and I am ready to start the second planking. I want to thank everyone for the pictures and the tips on the logs. Your ships look out standing.

Felicidades amigo. Me parece que has hecho un trabajo extraordinario. Yo voy a comenzar mi Harvey la semana que viene. Espero que me quede tan bien como a tí.
Saludos desde el norte de España.

google translation:
Congrats friend. It seems to me that you have done an extraordinary job. I'm going to start my Harvey next week. I hope it suits me as well as you.
Greetings from the north of Spain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello from the USA. I am working on the Harvey from a kit I have had since 1980. Does someone have detailed plans for the longboat? This was not included in my kit. Thank you

Attachments

• 8129D0CB-1F2F-46B9-B09A-083704009145.jpeg
    8129D0CB-1F2F-46B9-B09A-083704009145.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 39
Many thanks. Can you send me any information regarding the dimensions of the main pieces?

perhaps a picture of the laser cut pieces next to a ruler?

I appreciate the sail information. Do you know if theeexare available to buy?

73981C72-B8F4-4514-8645-39C8D6BF947E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is built so you’ll have to match your parts to the instructions based on the numbers or relative sizes. Sorry.

Many thanks. Can you send me any information regarding the dimensions of the main pieces?

perhaps a picture of the laser cut pieces next to a ruler?

I appreciate the sail information. Do you know if theeexare available to buy?

View attachment 234413
こんにちは、
良い船ですね。只今、同型船(HALCO WESTERN)製作してます。
参考になります。
ありがとうございます。

福井

What a godsend! I am building one of the inexpensive 1:130 kits and while I have been able to figure out all of the elements in constructing the hull and deck furniture from the minimal instruction sheet, rigging the ship from what is given is impossible. The Harvey Instructions and Harvey Sails pdfs have illuminated the esoteric. Thank you. I will be able to take this rudimentary guess-and-b'gosh to a much more scale model level. You have saved this beginner's sanity!

What a godsend! I am building one of the inexpensive 1:130 kits and while I have been able to figure out all of the elements in constructing the hull and deck furniture from the minimal instruction sheet, rigging the ship from what is given is impossible. The Harvey Instructions and Harvey Sails pdfs have illuminated the esoteric. Thank you. I will be able to take this rudimentary guess-and-b'gosh to a much more scale model level. You have saved this beginner's sanity!
Hallo @tenorc
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello, really happy to have found this thread, since I'm building the exact same boat, also my first.
One thing I came across is that it appears that the hull planking is a few centimeter shorter than the actual hull.
How did you solve this?

Chapter 1.1:
After doing much research, I decided to use the false deck as a means of squaring up and locking in the bulkhead sections to make everything nice and properly placed. I took measurements of the plans and keel and drew out in pencil where these bulkheads should land on the bottom side of the false deck. although I was rather dismayed after completetion that some of the bulkheads didn't seem perfectly symmetrical given their ultimate placement, I think I was being too exacting. I'm now completely finished with the hull and planking, and fortunately, all of the following parts fit the hull just fine.
Based on research, I also created a balsa wood filler block for the bow end. The stern was already covered with a factory block.
After completing the hull planking, if I had anything to do over again, I'd also have added filler blocks or pieces to additional areas between bulkheads, especially areas of the greatest curve of the finished hull.
These pictures were taken on July 13, 2019; it took about three weeks and I'd estimate 30-40 hours of direct labor on the Harvey so far.

Hi Sid - on the bow it appears you filled the area in front of ribs #2/15 with some material. Was that Woodfiller?

Chapter 1.2:
During 'fairing' of the hull bulkheads, I noticed a couple of places that wouldn't 'fair' properly because of the assymmetry of a couple of the bulkheads. I added a bit of filler pieces. As stated above, I wished I'd added even more filler, because the first layer of planking didn't like the relatively "sharp" curves of the hull. It didn't help that the shipwright was a newbie to this craft. The planking with this kits was only .5mm thick, which bent easily in the direction of the grain, but didn't like bending cross-grain at all; and was too fragile to heat and bend. Or required a better builder. filler blocks would have helped this immensely, I think.
These pictures were taken July 16th, and now the boat is ready for first layer hull planking.

Sid - it's been a few years since you've done this, but if you can recall, how important was it that you added the smaller "filler" pieces of wood here and there before you started planking?

Recently I purchased model ship kits “ Harvey 1847” scale 1:96 from China. It has everything but the plans for rigging and sails. If anyone could help me by sending photographs of the plans I would be highly obliged.

Regards from Mumbai, India
Jayanta Das
Email ID- jayanta.badal@gmail.com
I just received this exact kit for Christmas. Please tell me, was it a difficult build?

Thank you

I scanned the instructions and the two files (booklet and plan sheets) total about 11 MB. Apparently that is too big a file to attach in the forum but still small enough to email. Please provide me your email address and I will be happy to email to you.
billmears@duck.com. I could use those plans! Thank you in advance...

Back