Build log: Billing Boat, African Queen (BB588) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi everyone. This is the 3rd ship I have built. The first 2 were solid hull ships. My first ever was the Charles W. Morgan. I don't remember the manufacturer. The second was Evergreen by Mini Mamoli.

So far I'm pretty pleased with the quality and fit of this kit. I struggled finding the best adhesive to bond wood to the plastic hull.

20210513_183842.jpg20210513_184056.jpg20210513_184505.jpg20210514_163905.jpg20210517_105046.jpg20210517_160159.jpg20210518_121109.jpg

G'day Ironrod60, an amazing build with fantastic photos, you really have made a great build, I just love steam launches, and yours is amazing,

Best regards John,

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment! I like the steam launches also. I honestly have no clue how the Union Jack is to be flown. The flag had a wide border on one end and that end I wrapped around the line and glued in place. I doubt I can get it off in one piece to fix it. Thanks for pointing it out. In the future I won't make that mistake.

Uwe:

Appreciate very much your pictures and outline. I just started building the model and, as you know, am disappointed with the instructions! Your build is a big help! 3 questions as I start out: 1. What did you use for the rivets? 2. What are you using for the ring around the opening for the red handles? I see 3 openings for the red handles on the boiler but yours and others appear to show 4; two around the top of the door and then one on the back and one to the right of the door above the plumbing. Is this correct?

By the way, I went to high school (in the fifties!) with an exchange student from Latvia, by the name of Uwe Schwartz. We have lost contact with him since he returned to Latvia. I know you're in Austria but it's not you by chance??

Thanks for your help.

John

Thanks so much for posting this. I have been gifted this model and it is my first attempt at boat building. Billings instructions seem terribly confusing to me. But maybe I'm just inexperienced.

Hi everyone. This is the 3rd ship I have built. The first 2 were solid hull ships. My first ever was the Charles W. Morgan. I don't remember the manufacturer. The second was Evergreen by Mini Mamoli.

So far I'm pretty pleased with the quality and fit of this kit. I struggled finding the best adhesive to bond wood to the plastic hull.

View attachment 237960View attachment 237961View attachment 237962View attachment 237963View attachment 237964View attachment 237965View attachment 237966
Ironrod60
Please tell me how you removed the flash from the hull. I am brand new to this group and have only built one ship previously but was a model railroader for many years. However, I never came across this type of issue before. You can also email me at ndlipton@aol.com if that is allowed and convenient.
Thank you,

Back