Build log: Billing Boat, African Queen (BB588) [COMPLETED BUILD]

The Billings instructions are really lacking. Their part numbering plans have me scratching my head! The fittings in the piping diagrams in many instances don’t fit the predrilled holes for the pipes. A real mess. Short of soldering it’s impossible to fit them together. I’m trying to find a glue that will hold. Anybody have any suggestions?
I just built this boat and Billings is famous for its lack of directions but the kits are great. As to the flashing I would suggest cutting off the vertical bit and leaving the horizontal piece until you glue the top rail on, then trim it to fit otherwise you can overtime and face some repairs. I speak from experience.
Ca glue is best for joining pipes. You can also use the CA glue accelerator if you need an instant bond. The worst area I dealt with was attaching the whistles to the top pipe and for this I drilled the pipe and whistles and superglue them with a piece of paper clip as a stiffened.

The Billings instructions are really lacking. Their part numbering plans have me scratching my head! The fittings in the piping diagrams in many instances don’t fit the predrilled holes for the pipes. A real mess. Short of soldering it’s impossible to fit them together. I’m trying to find a glue that will hold. Anybody have any suggestions?
Yes, the instructions for Billings are totally inadequate. I have built 3 of their kits over the years and for each each one I spend forever trying to figure things out. For the African Queen there is a separate 3 page set of diagrams showing scale details on the construction of the boiler and engine components. This is quite helpful. It may be that it wasn't included in your kit. There is a Facebook Page for Billing Boats builders and the folks tere are great at answering questions and giving advice. I have used CVA glue to manage most of the parts and pieces. Good luck!

Where can I get my hands on those engine plans?
I would email Billing Boats. If that doesn't work, you can post your request on the Billing Boats Builders facebook page. There are a number of moderators there who work for Billing Boats. Or, if you get nowhere on this, I can send you more detailed photos- not to 1:1 scale..
Their email: Service@billingboats.dk

AQ engine 2.jpgAQ engine1.jpg

Back