Build Log: CAF models' HMS Enterprise 1:48

C115603A-68A8-4E93-BC4B-03C5BFE8A40A.jpeg
Port side gun ports have been framed and faired, both sides are now complete... I feel like I've reached a milestone with this kit. So far, it has been (most of the time) very enjoyable to build and I have learned a lot. However, there are a few things that I would do differently, both in execution and in build-sequence. I'll write something on that later.
Next: External longitudinals: strakes and wales, followed by deck and sidewall planking plus bulwarks. At this point I need to decide how much of the hull and deck framing is to remain visible, colors, tree nailing, etc. so I'll be taking some time to think about it
Alex R

5F076800-8DEF-42F3-B065-D610D2CDFB0B.jpeg

it is looking amazing. I am following this thread to learn how are you dealing with this POF shipp. I received last week the Druid from ZHL. Still a lot of learning from this thread and others similars before I have the courage to start it.

In the meantime I am moving on with other simple projects and reading/learning from you (and others) the techniques used.

Thank you for your detailed explanations.

Cheers
Daniel

Hi Poul
YES ! I love everything about Denmark. Could live there. The naval museum there is fantastic; I think it is one of the best in the world. Looking at the Hygge sign helps me be calm and centered, especially when building the HMS Enterprise.
Alex R
Excellent progress so far. I also like your choice of Byrnes tools!!!! :)
As you can see, I love tools. Byrnes tools are very high quality. I use the sander the most. For a table saw, I use an old Preac about 1/2 the time because the Byrnes is has a much larger foot print, and the Preac fits on the work table easier. Other favorite tools are my Foredom hand-held rotary tool, and a Sherline mill. I am teaching myself milling !

I agree with your choice of Byrnes tools. Looking good. Long live Texas!!!

Thanks all for the birthday greetings...I love this group !
We arrived in Park City Utah at 11 PM yesterday. Beautiful but very long (26 hour) drive, incredible vistas.....Today we'll spend the day cleaning condo and cars, re-supply, etc...then start riding bikes in the afternoon.. Start back on hobbies soon.
My first project here is to finish building my LEGO Technic Bugatti....a very complicated model that I started last December while skiing here.. Lots of fun...I'll post pictures later ......
I have to keep working on wood and ships, so I will also start a 1:48 cross section of Le Fleuron. I may do a kit review and maybe a build log. I don't have a shop in my condo, but I brought some hand tools from Houston....I'll adapt.
Thanks again to all
Stay Safe
Alex R

Wow! lots of work done since your last update!! Great progress, Alex! We'd like to see the process and more often updates! You know, we are curious people here... :D

I am planning on painting the wales black and the sheer strakes above the gunport blue. The rest will be varnished. Right now I am deciding whether or not to insert treenails....and which areas of the deck to leave un-planked to show the underlying frame, carling and knee structures.

Back