HMS Agamemnon by Caldercraft

Slowly adding the mid deck supports (I need more clamps to finish them quicker)
Planked the area of the deck that can be seen from above.
Not sure I like the way it looks. Used a pencil to mark the nails but looks fake. Did a test using tooth picks to make the nails but could barely see them. Hopefully can come up with something better by the time I do the mid deck.20230127_175355.jpg20230127_175413.jpg

Yes I have seen the same things said about Caldercraft kits. Maybe I just got unlucky. I have fixed and fitted 4 ribs so far , will take a bit longer but I'm confident I will get it right eventually. I an checking each is square after I place it and checking placement by dry fitting the lower deck. So far so good.
Personally I'd be questioning the origin of this kit, is it a genuine or a 'knock-off' kit? I think you should be asking Caldercraft/Jotika about it.

Personally I'd be questioning the origin of this kit, is it a genuine or a 'knock-off' kit? I think you should be asking Caldercraft/Jotika about it.
I registered the kit with Jotika and they confirmed it so I'm assuming it is a proper kit.

I registered the kit with Jotika and they confirmed it so I'm assuming it is a proper kit.
Good afternoon Greg. Your progress thus far is awesome. Keep going and you will find she turns into a magestic Ship. Caldercraft makes awesome kits and you will enjoy her. Cheers Grant

Good afternoon Greg. Your progress thus far is awesome. Keep going and you will find she turns into a magestic Ship. Caldercraft makes awesome kits and you will enjoy her. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant, slowly getting there . Looking forward to finding parts that just fit together lol.
Starting to plank the mid deck

Unfortunately I'm still having problems with parts "just fitting" could not fit the mid deck due to the bulkheads being .86mm too thick and the slots in the deck being .26mm too narrow.
In the end had to open up the slots a little , find and mark the centre line so I knew for sure the deck was located correctly.
Now just have to do the other half the same and should then be good to start the planking.
I've ordered the Caldercraft Victory so am hoping I will be luckier than I have been on this one.20230207_195632.jpg

Unfortunately I'm still having problems with parts "just fitting" could not fit the mid deck due to the bulkheads being .86mm too thick and the slots in the deck being .26mm too narrow.
In the end had to open up the slots a little , find and mark the centre line so I knew for sure the deck was located correctly.
Now just have to do the other half the same and should then be good to start the planking.
I've ordered the Caldercraft Victory so am hoping I will be luckier than I have been on this one.View attachment 355969
Slots being too narrow in deck pieces is a common issue with most kits. They almost always have to be custom fit. Just be careful not to try to squeeze fit the deck into place if the slots are still tight or you risk cracking or breaking one of the frames off. If there is a little slop, it's not a problem. PVA glue will fill the gap, and deck planks will hide it. Better a slight gap than slots which are too tight.

Slots being too narrow in deck pieces is a common issue with most kits. They almost always have to be custom fit. Just be careful not to try to squeeze fit the deck into place if the slots are still tight or you risk cracking or breaking one of the frames off. If there is a little slop, it's not a problem. PVA glue will fill the gap, and deck planks will hide it. Better a slight gap than slots which are too tight.
Thanks , yes I came to the same conclusion. I have a few small gaps but figure the deck planks will cover them. I put a small crack In one half of the deck trying to install it so won't be trying to force anything else.

I havent done much as you can see. I started planking the mid deck. Couldn't find the correct pattern for the Agamemnon so went with a 4 step pattern which I believe the Victory used.

The reason everything has come to a stop is my wife has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer so I want to spend all my time supporting her through the treatment.

Hopefully things will go well and I shall return to the build one day.

20230225_182749.jpg

I havent done much as you can see. I started planking the mid deck. Couldn't find the correct pattern for the Agamemnon so went with a 4 step pattern which I believe the Victory used.

The reason everything has come to a stop is my wife has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer so I want to spend all my time supporting her through the treatment.

Hopefully things will go well and I shall return to the build one day.

View attachment 359322
Good morning Greg. I am so sorry to hear the bad news. I wish all the best in the treatment for your wife’s cancer. Best of luck. Cheers Grant

Good morning Greg. I am so sorry to hear the bad news. I wish all the best in the treatment for your wife’s cancer. Best of luck. Cheers Grant
Thankyou Grant I'm sure , knowing people are thinking of her will help enormously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Greg. A difficult thing to read about your wife. My prayer is ng to read about your wife. My prayer is that she will persevere and receive expert care throughou
Thankyou for Your kind words. Just knowing she has so much support will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
I also am planning to embark on a construction project of HMS AGAMEMNON. The pictures of the model made by Maclom Darch (Devon UK) are simply breathtaking. The paintings works are beautiful. Read autor Julian Stockwin's report : https://julianstockwin.com/2017/10/10/agamemnon-the-darch-model/
darchblog3-stern.jpg

darchblog2-whole-ship.jpg

I have been waiting for this to be in stock, what talent and a fantastic build

Beautiful work in painting and details, even more if we consider the scale 1:64, much harder to show so much detail. Definitely a masterpiece.
This kit is in my inventory. The build begins once we are moved. The history of the ship calls to mind what it means to be in the Royal Navy.

Hi all,
I also am planning to embark on a construction project of HMS AGAMEMNON. The pictures of the model made by Maclom Darch (Devon UK) are simply breathtaking. The paintings works are beautiful. Read autor Julian Stockwin's report : https://julianstockwin.com/2017/10/10/agamemnon-the-darch-model/
Hallo @William1961
We wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Hope to see your work on the Agamemmnon in a building log - knowing the quality of your work on the Norske Love

and I hope to get an update by @greg on his model

Back