Capt. John Smith's shallop kit by Pavel Nikitin [COMPLETED BUILD]

I started this kit in Nov. 2022, and have been keeping a log with comments and pictures. It is a Word document, attached below. I can convert it to pdf if anyone wishes. This is my first log here in SOS so learning as I go. I can attach updated logs as I make progress, or post pictures, questions, and comments one at a time here in this thread.
3429c536-c8a3-4659-a688-064ec14b27bf

Attachments

• build log of Capt John Smith Shallop of 1607.docx
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
Guy,
I can’t wait. I’ve had my Shallop for some time now but I’m unable to start to build. My family is moving from CA to WA. It’s time consuming to say the least.
I’ll be in the front row right next to Jimsky if I’m allowed. Best of luck and enjoy. Rand

I started the log here on SOS after working on the model for several months, so am picking up mid-build. Building the water barrel. There are mdf forms that interlock to form the shape. Laser-printed ends and staves are glued to the form. The staves are long enough to hang over each end, like a real barrel. I will need to do some sanding after they are all on. The bands in the kit are copper, trying to decide if they should be blackened. Probably, they are black on most barrels that I have seen. I realize now that I should have scraped or sanded off the laser char on each stave. They are making the joints between the staves a little too noticeable. I might paint the barrel a similar color and sand it again. I plan to stain the barrel. Planning to paint the bottom inside and out white, then leave the top 2 planks and wale natural. I steamed and clamped plank #8 and will remove it to paint.B37A7F4C-3043-4D2F-8B68-746A823AB353_1_105_c.jpegIMG_1348.jpeg

I painted the frames and most of the planks using my old air brush from Harbor Freight. It took a little experimenting to remember how to use it. I sprayed white primer, which turned out ok but I plan to cover it with white paint before adding the remaining planks and the wale. I had made a spray booth from a utility sink, cut one side out, and attached a fan to the back. I didn't use the fan, and the turntable is from the kitchen, covered with plastic wrap. I masked the outside of the frames to help the glue for the remaining planks stick better.244E668B-20E7-4214-A1CA-F8E8A7713142_1_105_c.jpegB3E59035-503F-4379-928C-60FF2AEE9061_1_105_c.jpeg

I used acrylic polyurethane on the seats & decks, top 3 planks, water barrel, and leeboards. I steamed plank #8 again and glued it in place. The small close pin clamps would not work because the seat clamp was in the way so had to use the larger spring clamps. Used acrylic polyurethane on the planks, seats, decks, barrel, and leeboards. I'll probably paint the decks because I had to add some narrow pieces along the outside edges to make them wide enough.

IMG_1353.jpeg

IMG_1364.jpeg

Having some problems with the planks coming unglued. The end was popped off, and the whole plank came off too easily. The last planks were stained and had 2 coats of acrylic poly, so they may need a light sanding on the inside surface. They also did not fit to the frames very well, so pared down some frames and added shims to others. I will also wet and heat them in the microwave for a bit longer so they are more pliable. I am gluing with PVA and hesitate to use CA because it is much harder to undo.

IMG_1365.jpeg

IMG_1368.jpeg

After installing the last two planks and wale I am not happy with how it looks. There are gaps at the ends where the planks meet the stem and stern. I glued in some filler pieces, but these will be too obvious so have decided to paint them as well. The cap rails remain natural. Those were tricky to fit and had to be shortened slightly at the scarf joints to fit the stem and stern. I installed the seats, knees, and decks, and blackened the brass for the mast partner.

IMG_1428.jpeg

IMG_1432.jpeg

IMG_1434.jpeg

IMG_1435.jpeg

I was looking only at the spiral-bound directions and not enough at the full-size plans, and just not thinking. The 4 items around the mast are belaying pins, just with fancy tops. I cut them off flush with the bottom of the thwart before understanding this. Had to make a piece to glue under the thwart with some brass pins that can be used to tie off some lines when it is rigged. A metal plate is glued to the top of the leeboards, and it was so small that I thought it might fall through the hole. I lost the first one when it sprang out of the tweezers, so glued the other one with CA before separating it from the sheet. I made a second one from some of the same sheet. Solderd the pintles and gudgeons using solder paste. Not happy with the blackening so got a new solution to try. I tapered the back edge of the rudder, but could not find any information about when this practice started so that may not be correct. Struggled to get the barrel hoops glued straight, and finally decided to solder them off the barrel and then press them on. I like the results much better.

IMG_1449.jpeg

IMG_1435 2.jpeg

IMG_1438.jpeg

After installing the last two planks and wale I am not happy with how it looks. There are gaps at the ends where the planks meet the stem and stern. I glued in some filler pieces, but these will be too obvious so have decided to paint them as well. The cap rails remain natural. Those were tricky to fit and had to be shortened slightly at the scarf joints to fit the stem and stern. I installed the seats, knees, and decks, and blackened the brass for the mast partner.

View attachment 373033

View attachment 373034

View attachment 373035

View attachment 373036
Morning Guy. Sanding, paint and final touch up will sort out the wales. Your metal fitting looks sooo good. Looking good. Cheers Grant

I tried soldering the links of the chain that holds the leeboards but had too many difficulties. My tools are all too large. I rigged the mast and started making the sails. Thin CA did not hold the bolt rope to the material, so I masked the edge of the sail, applied gel CA, then laid the bolt rope and removed the masking tape. This technique worked fairly well. Sewing the bolt ropes by hand, and plan to try painting the sail and stitching with dilute acrylic paint. I'll try on some scrap sailcloth to see what works best.

chain.jpg

IMG_1468.jpeg

IMG_1480.jpeg

IMG_1512.jpeg

HI ALL, I AM GOING TO DO WHAT I HAVE NOT DONE IN THE PAST I STARTEED THE BUILD SOME TIME AGO NOW ABANDING IT REALLY, REALLY MESSED UP ALL BECAUSE I DID NOT ASWK A QUESTION AT THE BEGINING OF THE BUILD THE KEEL ASSEMBLY WAS TO SHORT FOR THE JIG BEING A KLUTZ SOMETIMES CONTINUEED ON THE BUILD WITOUT ASKING QUESTION AS YOU CAN IMAGINE NOTHING ABSOLUTLY NOTHING FIT MY FAULT MY BAD SO I AM CONTACTING DENIS NTO ORDER4 ANOTHER THIS IS MY FAULT NOTHING TO FAULT PAVEL. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

HI ALL, I AM GOING TO DO WHAT I HAVE NOT DONE IN THE PAST I STARTEED THE BUILD SOME TIME AGO NOW ABANDING IT REALLY, REALLY MESSED UP ALL BECAUSE I DID NOT ASWK A QUESTION AT THE BEGINING OF THE BUILD THE KEEL ASSEMBLY WAS TO SHORT FOR THE JIG BEING A KLUTZ SOMETIMES CONTINUEED ON THE BUILD WITOUT ASKING QUESTION AS YOU CAN IMAGINE NOTHING ABSOLUTLY NOTHING FIT MY FAULT MY BAD SO I AM CONTACTING DENIS NTO ORDER4 ANOTHER THIS IS MY FAULT NOTHING TO FAULT PAVEL. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
I understand, I had the same problems with the frames and keel. I should have been very careful to line up the steps on the frames and floors. The planks are pre-cut to length, so some of them were too short. It is also easy to get the plank on the wrong side or wrong-ended. I am sure I could do a better job on a second attempt at this model. You learn as you go, that is part of the process. Guy

I tried soldering the links of the chain that holds the leeboards but had too many difficulties. My tools are all too large. I rigged the mast and started making the sails. Thin CA did not hold the bolt rope to the material, so I masked the edge of the sail, applied gel CA, then laid the bolt rope and removed the masking tape. This technique worked fairly well. Sewing the bolt ropes by hand, and plan to try painting the sail and stitching with dilute acrylic paint. I'll try on some scrap sailcloth to see what works best.

View attachment 384839

View attachment 384840

View attachment 384841

View attachment 384842
I had the same problem with the chains for the leeboards. Olha makes it look so easy. So I just used some chain I had leftover from another project and blackened it. Turned out just fine. I too am sewing the bolt rope to the sail. Time consuming but I like the way it looks so far.

I finished sewing the sail boltropes and used thin white glue to make the reefing lines hang straight. I want to do something about the color of the sails. A stain or dye won't work because there is CA glue in places. I plan to airbrush a light tan color which will also reduce the contrast between the sails and the stitching. Bought a $20 self-contained airbrush and will do some more testing with it before painting the sails.IMG_1517.jpeg

I used the airbrush to darken the sails. The base now has the two maps of Smith's journeys around the Chesapeake on it, and I just glued down the cradle and the hull. I need to solder the battery and switch to the leads for the LED light in the lantern. A drawer goes in the empty space in front to hold the switch. The sides of the case are finished and the pieces for the top are cut but need to be painted before installing them. I can see light at the end of the tunnel!
mounted on base.jpg

Very good overall appearance - it is getting a real good model
Btw: The colour of the sails is very good

Back