Build Log Construction

My question is this - how detailed and inclusive should a build log be? I am taking pictures each step of the way and have barely started and already have 125+ images. I can edit them of course. I'll take them into Photoshop and clean them up and resize before presenting. But how much is too much? Thanks in advance for your consideration and input.

Hi Philski

In my opinion a building log have to teach to the other group members that they dont know how to do.

I mean a building log must answer the question “How did you do the stuff?” not “What did you do?”

So some unfamiliar techniques can be documented as detailed as possible.

Best regards

Bilal

Last edited:
My question is this - how detailed and inclusive should a build log be? I am taking pictures each step of the way and have barely started and already have 125+ images. I can edit them of course. I'll take them into Photoshop and clean them up and resize before presenting. But how much is too much? Thanks in advance for your consideration and input.
That is really up to you how much time you put into a log

I agree with both Zoly and Bilal. Both of them have valid points. We don't have any specific rules on how the build log should be written. It is up to you and your imagination. However, if you decide to show the progress only in photos, it will be for sure acceptable, but plain and may not attract many readers\followers. On another hand, if you describe each photo with comments, it will be much better! The best option for the build logs is to show and describe the method of your assembly\construction. It will attract more followers, as some of us might learn new techniques or use your build log as the reference for theirs.
More of us more craftsmen than bloggers, IMHO

Good luck!

"How did you do the stuff?” not “What did you do?”
That is a VERY good point Bilal - I never thought of it that way before.

@Philski the forum automatically resizes the images to 1400 pixels wide and compresses images to about 270k. There is a code script built into the forum that does this automatically. I do appreciate your concern about how much is too much. I admit to myself, it is easy to get carried away and like Bilal said, I guess it is best to stay with what is relevant.
On the other hand, I have also used videos to express a function of a build that is hard to convey with just pictures. However, it is a little more to that as you have to upload your video to a (your Youtube account if you have one). Then that fun begins if you want to edit your video, then that alone becomes a task within itself -
So, when you upload your video to youtube. After which, youtube will give you a web address that might look something like https // youtu.be/M3N_7Z8hw_zQ
Then on the formatting bar strip, you can click on "Insert Media" - it is the small icon to the RIGHT of the smiley face and then another box will appear asking you to add the Media URL. That is where you insert the youtube link. Then clicking Continue will add your embedded video to your post. Since this is a link to Youtube, it is not using server space on the server.
Well, I hope this has given you some ideas. I use youtube from time to time when a simple picture does not help. I know you did not ask about youtube, but I wanted to offer you some other avenues.

"How did you do the stuff?” not “What did you do?”
That is a VERY good point Bilal - I never thought of it that way before.

@Philski the forum automatically resizes the images to 1400 pixels wide and compresses images to about 270k. There is a code script built into the forum that does this automatically. I do appreciate your concern about how much is too much. I admit to myself, it is easy to get carried away and like Bilal said, I guess it is best to stay with what is relevant.
On the other hand, I have also used videos to express a function of a build that is hard to convey with just pictures. However, it is a little more to that as you have to upload your video to a (your Youtube account if you have one). Then that fun begins if you want to edit your video, then that alone becomes a task within itself -
So, when you upload your video to youtube. After which, youtube will give you a web address that might look something like https // youtu.be/M3N_7Z8hw_zQ
Then on the formatting bar strip, you can click on "Insert Media" - it is the small icon to the RIGHT of the smiley face and then another box will appear asking you to add the Media URL. That is where you insert the youtube link. Then clicking Continue will add your embedded video to your post. Since this is a link to Youtube, it is not using server space on the server.
Well, I hope this has given you some ideas. I use youtube from time to time when a simple picture does not help. I know you did not ask about youtube, but I wanted to offer you some other avenues.
Thanks! I take pictures with a camera and pics are 14" wide and about 3 megs each on the default resolution I use. I then take them into Photoshop and reduce the size as well as "save for web" to reduce file size. Knowing your system automatically reduces sure takes the worry out of it!

Hi Philski

In my opinion a building log have to teach to the other group members that they dont know how to do.

I mean a building log must answer the question “How did you do the stuff?” not “What did you do?”

Best regards

Bilal
I think that pressure to 'teach' will put people off submitting build logs. "What I did" blogs are useful for others in trying to see how the plans/instructions have been interpreted by others. Looking at pictures of others' models in detail is a useful way of spending time and planning your own.

Hi Philski

Best regards

Bilal
Not everybody can teach ,some share for fun or other reasons ,if a beginner is doing a build log we can’t expect that the builderisca master builder

I think that pressure to 'teach' will put people off submitting build logs. "What I did" blogs are useful for others in trying to see how the plans/instructions have been interpreted by others. Looking at pictures of others' models in detail is a useful way of spending time and planning your own.
I am a former instructor, both in the Army and as an engineer. I enjoy teaching and have done my share of technical writing, producing manuals for maintaining nuclear imaging systems as well as scanning electron microscopes. So, when I create my log, I'll tend to write it like an instructional lesson plan. And I'll keep it simple. I think it'll be fun!

Take a look around at other build logs...that will give you a feel for the frequency of posting progress. what I do is post a few photos at major steps...such as finishing a side of planking...or completing the deck planking. My dialogue includes issues, problems, or how I accomplished what I did. Another example...if my model has ten deck cannons I would post several photos with dialogue for the details of one cannon...then the next photo in the log would be when I finished all ten. It is good to see how different modeler’s work through the various stages of their model.

Back