Build log: Dutch Whaler "Baliniera Olandese" (Sergal) [COMPLETED BUILD]]

Several years ago I built a model of a Dutch Whaler ("Baliniera Olandese"), from a kit by Sergal. As it happens, I kept a (partial) record of the time I spent on it. I started on July 18th 2002, en finished somewhere in November of 2005. The build took me about 750 hours. During the build I made some pictures, and I'll add them here.

Last edited:
Hello Martijn and a big welcome to the forum. My big love is Dutch ships and it's great to see another one having been built. She almost has Fluyt lines at the stern and I know that that is probably THE most difficult shape to plank, I look forward to what you will dish up next for us - as long as you keep it Dutch! :D

Hallo Martijn,
Beautiful model, wel done.
I am working on a scratch built Fluit, the Zeehaen from Abel Tasman, scale 1:37.5
Probably the most challenging model I've ever built.

Marcus

Hallo Martijn,
Beautiful model, wel done.
I am working on a scratch built Fluit, the Zeehaen from Abel Tasman, scale 1:37.5
Probably the most challenging model I've ever built.

Marcus
Hi Marcus, thanks for the compliment. I just started reading the thread on your ZeeHaen, and I'm very impressed. Amazing work! Also, I have to say that being part of this community has opened my eyes to how much I can still learn. I'm really happy that I can hone my craft much more deeply in the coming years.

Hoi Martijn, ik hen een oude door van Sergal op de kop getikten deze is niet compleet. het gaat over deze walvisvaarder en ik mis de inventarisatie lijst van de inhoud en de beschrijving. Ook mis ik een bundel hout voor de binnenhuid beplanking. Kan jij mij misschien hier mee helpen? laat wat van je horen .
Met vriendelijke groet Peter

Hi Martijn, I bought them an old door from Sergal, this one is not complete. it's about this whaler and I'm missing the inventory list of the contents and the description. I also miss a bundle of wood for the inner skin planking. Can you maybe help me with this? let me hear from you.
Sincerely, Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Several years ago I built a model of a Dutch Whaler ("Baliniera Olandese"), from a kit by Sergal. As it happens, I kept a (partial) record of the time I spent on it. I started on July 18th 2002, en finished somewhere in November of 2005. The build took me about 750 hours. During the build I made some pictures, and I'll add them here.

Hi there I wonder if I could ask for some help, I have the Baleniera Olandese model and it not clear if the first set of planking is like or walnut. Could you help me
Please. If not on here the to my emaiL
Address stevegough2012@gmail.com

Thank you
Steve

Hi there I wonder if I could ask for some help, I have the Baleniera Olandese model and it not clear if the first set of planking is like or walnut. Could you help me
Please. If not on here the to my emaiL
Address stevegough2012@gmail.com

Thank you
Steve
Hi Steve, the instructions are pretty bad w.r.t. this. The booklet only mentions that the first planking is 1.5x6mm and the second 1x6mm. From the list of materials, I inferred at the time that the 1.5x6mm are lime, and 1x6mm is walnut. There was no 1.5x6mm lime in my kit, but plenty of 1.5x6mm walnut. So I used walnut on both plankings (admittedly, until your message and me checking it, I thought both were mahogany ;-) ). Does this help?

Martin,

Thank you so much, I have both so will do the first in lime and the sexon in walnut.

I hope you don’t mind if I ask you a few questions in the future as this is the first model of this size I have made.

Really appreciate you responding and so quickly.

Steve

Martin,

Thank you so much, I have both so will do the first in lime and the sexon in walnut.

I hope you don’t mind if I ask you a few questions in the future as this is the first model of this size I have made.

Steve
no problem, feel free to ask!

Martin,

Steve
Another tip that I remember using: try reading the description in the booklet in all of the languages. Sometimes they simply skip stuff in the translations to (in my case) Dutch or English. I was helped a few times by the Spanish and Italian description.

Back