Build Log: ENDURANCE by OcCre [COMPLETED BUILD]

Getting near the end of the build. Several stays need to be tightened, lots of rope hanks to make, and other touchups to do. Other than that the main part of the build is complete. I ordered four Master Korabel ships boats, two 95mm and two 75mm. Ones supplied didn't have enough detail for me. That will take a while. Built one for my Pegaus and was impressed with kit and the results.

Endurance 126.jpg

Hey Charlie I want to ask; Did you replace the rope supplied with the kit? My kit came with 3 spools of brown 0.50 and it looks a little fuzzy as well.
Love to sled-dogs as well!
Ordering the ships boats from Korbel seems like a good option. The kit supplied builds are way out of proportion and would require replacing every part to make them acceptable.

Hey Charlie I want to ask; Did you replace the rope supplied with the kit? My kit came with 3 spools of brown 0.50 and it looks a little fuzzy as well.
Love to sled-dogs as well!
Ordering the ships boats from Korbel seems like a good option. The kit supplied builds are way out of proportion and would require replacing every part to make them acceptable.
I now replace all the rope in my builds. Also all the ships boats, blocks, and deadeyes. Crafty Sailor and Ropes of Scale are a good place to get these items. Dry dock Models and Parts are a source for ebony deadeyes. I think deadeyes and lanyards should be black. The rope is a little more difficult to work with because you need to put a spot of CA before you cut it or it will unravel but well worth it for the look.

You can scratch build a artic dog sled fairly easy with strips and string. The dogs would look good with one.
Cool idea Kurt. If I was making a diorama I would definitely do that. It's for my son so he's controlling how the build goes. There are two sleds on the ship now but they don't look quite like the ones in the book.

I totally agree with you about the small details making difference and getting attention.

I also do HO model railroading and the scenes with all the fine details are those folks like to stop and look at, kind of like a where's Waldo moment.

I've been adding more "details". Besides sled dogs and penguins, which the crew eventually ate to survive, I installed gear lockers, rope coils, water barrels, and a few more dog sleds. That pretty much completes the ship. Still need to add boat davits and life boats.

Endurance 128.jpgEndurance 129.jpgEndurance 130.jpg

I've been adding more "details". Besides sled dogs and penguins, which the crew eventually ate to survive, I installed gear lockers, rope coils, water barrels, and a few more dog sleds. That pretty much completes the ship. Still need to add boat davits and life boats.

View attachment 286043View attachment 286044View attachment 286045
I love the pinguins, I made some years back as yard decorations at Christmas time. You have a first class build Charlie, well done!

Back