Build Log: ENDURANCE by OcCre [COMPLETED BUILD]

Many thanks. I will speak to Egor.

While working on the deck house it looked a little plain to me so I needed to add some detail. Figured a couple of life ring buoys would be just the ticket. Took a while to get it figured out and they were so small it was a real challenge but it came out pretty good in the end. Might add a rack of rope coils also. The more detail the better. I think that's what takes a good model to a higher level.

Endurance 045.jpgEndurance 046.jpgEndurance 047.jpg

Great details on the deckhouse Charlie. I LOVE your weathered doors - they look most realistic!

Great details on the deckhouse Charlie. I LOVE your weathered doors - they look most realistic!
Thanks Heinrich - Think I'll add some rope coils too. Now working on a couple of first aid boxes to mount on the bulkheads. I like lots of detail. Was thinking of a fire station with hoses but can't figure out what to make the hoses out of. Too small to work with.

Thanks Heinrich - Think I'll add some rope coils too. Now working on a couple of first aid boxes to mount on the bulkheads. I like lots of detail. Was thinking of a fire station with hoses but can't figure out what to make the hoses out of. Too small to work with.
Don't give up on the fire hose quite yet. I might have something at my work you could use. I'm on holiday right now (hiking and exploring waterfalls near Asheville) but can send you some images when I return or even a sample via USPS.

Don't give up on the fire hose quite yet. I might have something at my work you could use. I'm on holiday right now (hiking and exploring waterfalls near Asheville) but can send you some images when I return or even a sample via USPS.
Thanks Paul. Woke up last night and had an epiphany. I'm going to the shoe store today and look for shoelaces from newborn shoes. Solving these little problems is one of my favorite things about this hobby. You picked the right time of year to visit Ashville. Wife a big fan of Biltmore House. Been there a couple of times over the years.

It's dangerous at sea so had to add a first-aid locker to the deckhouse. One space left so going to add either a rack with spare rope hanks or a firehose station. Prefer the hose if I can find something of scale that will look authentic. View attachment 261800
I'm curious whether you could find small round rubber bands. Most are likely to be too rectangular, but maybe ...

Insulated wire of an appropriate gauge?

I'm curious whether you could find small round rubber bands. Most are likely to be too rectangular, but maybe ...

Insulated wire of an appropriate gauge?
rubber bands might be worth looking into. hoses in a rack are flat so that could work. thanks for the idea Jeff. will let you know what i come up with.

Crafty Sailor. Nice products and good service. They also carry a line of Master Korbel fittings which I have used.
I saw your comment on "Crafty Sailor" and went to their web site. Very nice, I've been looking for tan laid rigging line for a long time and they have it. The wooden belaying pins look good also. I think I have found anther good source of after market produces. Thanks for sharing the information.

I saw your comment on "Crafty Sailor" and went to their web site. Very nice, I've been looking for tan laid rigging line for a long time and they have it. The wooden belaying pins look good also. I think I have found anther good source of after market produces. Thanks for sharing the information.
Also try Dry-Dock Models & Parts. I like use their ebony deadeyes.

Here is my mockup of the fire hose station so far. Still a work in progress. The hose itself has been the problem. Going to Hobby Lobby today and browse all sections looking for a suitable substitute.

The goal!
fire-hose 0.jpg

Very small parts to work with. Have to change the rod to a bar to keep the hose in place.
fire-hose 1.jpgfire-hose 2.jpg

Think I've finally found what will pass as a fire hose. Got some thin elastic cloth from the sewing department of Hobby Lobby. I stretched it until it was the right width then soaked it with CA so it would hold its shape. A little tweaking to do but should be about ready to install.
fire-hose 3.jpg

Think I've finally found what will pass as a fire hose. Got some thin elastic cloth from the sewing department of Hobby Lobby. I stretched it until it was the right width then soaked it with CA so it would hold its shape. A little tweaking to do but should be about ready to install.
View attachment 262516
Nice looking hose and rack. Definitely better than rubber bands. :D:D It will be another great detail for your model.

Todays kit bashing was on the bow. This is a shot of the real ship which shows the lifeline around the bow and a three stanchion section aft.
Endurance 052.JPG
This is what the kit calls for. Note the aft rail is not line but pipe. Change one was to make the three stanchions from soldered brass rod.
Endurance 053.jpg
Endurance 054.jpg
This is what the kit supplies for the lifeline stanchions. Painting them didn't help.
Endurance 055.jpg
Next was to improve on the lifeline. I used brass rod and brass tubing to create each stanchion by soldering a short piece of tubing to the top of a section of brass rod. Then sanded the tubing down until it was flush with the rod.
Endurance 056.jpgEndurance 057.jpg

Endurance 058.jpgEndurance 059.jpg
After painting and installation I think I've achieved a much better look, and a little more true to the original.
Endurance 060.jpg

Back