Build Log: ENDURANCE by OcCre [COMPLETED BUILD]

Small question: what did you cement the mast in place with? Just wood glue or something stronger?
I use Weld Bond for pretty much everything that requires wood glue. I like it because it dries crystal clear. I had a 2oz bottle and liked it so much I ordered 2 more from Amazon. Didn't pay attention to the size and wound up with 2 14oz bottles. Have enough to last a lifetime. :)

Would like some expert opinion on rigging deadeyes. I Used the .35mm for the deadeyes, the plans called for .15. After I rigged all the 4mm deadeyes and stood back to see how it looked I was not happy with the size of the thread. It seemed a little on the flimsy side. So I cut one off and redid it with .6mm, the same as the shroud, and I like it better. You can see in the original photo of Endurance the .6mm would look more accurate. The down side is cutting all 20 existing work out and redoing it again. Won't be the first time I had to redo something. Thanks

Endurance dead eyes 2.jpg
AAC_4304.jpgAAC_4307-2.jpg

Last edited:
Would like some expert opinion on rigging deadeyes. I Used the .15mm for the deadeyes as required by the plans. After I rigged all the 4mm deadeyes and stood back to see how it looked I was not happy with the size of the thread. It seemed a little on the flimsy side. So I cut one off and redid it with .6mm, the same as the shroud, and I like it better. You can see in the original photo of Endurance the .6mm would look more accurate. The down side is cutting all 20 existing work out and redoing it again. Won't be the first time I had to redo something. Thanks

View attachment 270898
View attachment 270899View attachment 270900
To me the .15 does look somewhat too small however the .60 I think is too big. Somewhere in between from 0.25 to 0.35. My opinion is not that of an expert, just going by sight.

To me the .15 does look somewhat too small however the .60 I think is too big. Somewhere in between from 0.25 to 0.35. My opinion is not that of an expert, just going by sight.
oops I actually did use .35. looked at the wrong spool. maybe.45 but would have to wait a week to get it. The old rock and hard place thanks for your input.

I have a Excel spreadsheet that was prepared for 16-19th historic ships that lists the lanyards size for the deadeyes as being about 50% of the diameter of the shrouds that are being tightened. This is consistent for lower and upper masts. The spreadsheet was prepared by Radimir Beseda and is entailed "Diameters of ropes on Historic sailing models in 16 - 19 century, and size of blocks" and has the filename "Rigging - size of rope and blocks" associated with it.

I have a Excel spreadsheet that was prepared for 16-19th historic ships that lists the lanyards size for the deadeyes as being about 50% of the diameter of the shrouds that are being tightened. This is consistent for lower and upper masts. The spreadsheet was prepared by Radimir Beseda and is entailed "Diameters of ropes on Historic sailing models in 16 - 19 century, and size of blocks" and has the filename "Rigging - size of rope and blocks" associated with it.
great. could you send me a copy? really appreciate the help.

Thanks again Jeff. I found it. Looks like it will answer any question I could ever have.

I am with Daniel here- just from a look and feel aspect. I see Jeff has the technical answer below and will fit the visual aspect.

Well Charlie it just may be you have the correct proportional size already. I always thought the dead eye rope on my old HMS Fly was too small, especially the 4mm ones. I wonder if the hole size in the deadeyes themselves are too big throwing everything else off?

Well Charlie it just may be you have the correct proportional size already. I always thought the dead eye rope on my old HMS Fly was too small, especially the 4mm ones. I wonder if the hole size in the deadeyes themselves are too big throwing everything else off?
Could be Daniel. I'll try .45mm when it gets here and see what it looks like. According to the excel spread sheet the .35mm should be correct but just doesn't look right to me. Lanyards should be approx. 50% of shroud size according to the spreadsheet table. Either way Jeff T's link to Radimir Beseda's spreadsheet is a great reference to have.

Happy thanksgiving Charlie. The Endurance is coming along great!

I finally resolved the deadeye lanyard problem. The .6mm on the right was the same size as the shroud and not appropriate. The .35mm in the center was specified on the instructions and I thought it looked too small. The .45mm used on the left came in today and I like it a lot better. Have to redo 20 deadeyes but hey, it's going to be a long winter and I'm a lot happier with the look.

Endurance 99.jpg

I finally resolved the deadeye lanyard problem. The .6mm on the right was the same size as the shroud and not appropriate. The .35mm in the center was specified on the instructions and I thought it looked too small. The .45mm used on the left came in today and I like it a lot better. Have to redo 20 deadeyes but hey, it's going to be a long winter and I'm a lot happier with the look.

View attachment 271647
I totally agree!

Back