HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft 1:64

Good afternoon all

Well she has finally been started, my first build in wood,,,, daunting task considering the size of the ship in 1/64 scale, as I normally work 1/35 scale armour and military vehicles…

This also might be the last, as when my wife asked me where I was going to put it when finished,, I told her it wasn’t my problem,, I only build them,, after that they are her ornaments.. if she pus it where she said she would,, I wont be able to sit and build another.. and I thought I was married to a lady…

As this is my first folk,, and having read many articles and reviews on the kit I do not plan on going through the box contents… my main aim is to share my experience and enjoyment both how I solve the manufacturer built in issues, sorry opportunities, and the many opportunities I am sure to create myself…

In addition to the base model ( I can’t remember the last time I built a model straight from the box) I am planning on not fitting the 24 lb dummy barrels, I will be fitting LED lights and plan on building the entire lower gun deck to see the details when looking through the gun ports…

I would also greatly appreciate it if the more experienced folk,, both in building these types of models and their knowledge of the subject would scream out when you see I am going wrong…

so without further ado

These photos are testing to ensure the keel is straight, I'd read many stories for warped keels but this one is very good

20190904_111002.jpg

The fitting of the bulkhead took a while,, they are very tight... As I will be altering them and expect to remove and fit them a few times I needed them to be fairly loose,, or I would definitely break parts.... the plan is to use the lower gun deck part to ensure they are secure in the correct positions before they are finally glued into place

20190904_111340.jpg20190904_111345.jpg20190904_111404.jpg

more to follow folk

feedback is definately appreciated

Cheers

Jim

Jim meets Jim! Good day\evening. You are of the good start, and I am taking the chair to watch as you build progresses. Out of curiosity: I am not seeing the laser char left neither on frames nor the false-keel, did you removed it or the kit supplied nice and clean?

First parts to be tested and glued into place were the 'Bow', Keel strips' and Rudder Post....

The ‘Bow’ was not a snug fit in the middle,, causing the part to be able to move up and down.. so whilst deciding what position was correct I decided to work from the Rudder post, this was a very good fit then I worked forward,, once the ‘Keel’ strips were fitted this showed the correct position (I hope) for the ‘Bow’

There was a gap of about 2mm that had to be corrected,, the top and bottom of the part fitted very well
20190904_160225.jpg

and a small gap where the keel strips joined
20190904_160231.jpg

All sorted,, I suspect these will be hidden anyway,, but i couldn't not fix them,, my inner nagging voice wouldn't let me

20190904_165227.jpg

20190904_161836.jpg20190904_170948.jpg

Last edited:
Jim meets Jim! Good day\evening. You are of the good start, and I am taking the chair to watch as you build progresses. Out of curiosity: I am not seeing the laser char left neither on frames nor the false-keel, did you removed it or the kit supplied nice and clean?

Good afternoon Jim

Welcome along for the ride.....

The kit does not have any laser char anywhere,,, I also bought the HMS Diana, my next punishment, and this is the same,, I suspect Caldercraft probably don't use laser for cutting the pieces

A warm welcome also from my side - I will also follow your building log with big interest.
Maybe once I will build also my Agamemnon ....... made some time ago a kit review

This also might be the last, as when my wife asked me where I was going to put it when finished,, I told her it wasn’t my problem,, I only build them,, after that they are her ornaments.. if she pus it where she said she would,, I wont be able to sit and build another.. and I thought I was married to a lady…

Jim

At 1300mm in length and 945mm height
And you said that you have also the Diana? Another big one at 1180mm x 838mm

It is big when finish I know I did the Santisima Trinidad at 1060mm x 876mm and at the moment doing the Royal Louis another big one at 1080mm x 830mm
Wait when you are a bit advance and the size start to really show what your minister of the interior will said:) I know same here. I am lucky the ST was for my one of son so not here and the RL is sold to my older son boss so it will not be here also.

And building the casing for them to protect them from the 3 big enemy of any model
Dust, animal (cat) and the 10 finger eyes of children.
Will follow your build it will be fun:cool:

Hi Charles all CC kits are CNC not laser.

Jim do not forget the rabbet & deadwood area at the stern before fitting the keel. CC kits have multiple layers that will not fit properly unless these are done. ( My first mistake with the CC Endevour. CC also put lots & lots of info in their plans so study them well and couple of steps ahead. I have the CC Victory to do next and its 1.4m

Hi Charles all CC kits are CNC not laser.

Jim do not forget the rabbet & deadwood area at the stern before fitting the keel. CC kits have multiple layers that will not fit properly unless these are done. ( My first mistake with the CC Endevour. CC also put lots & lots of info in their plans so study them well and couple of steps ahead. I have the CC Victory to do next and its 1.4m

Many thanks for the comments and advice folk,,,, Paulv1958,, I had already fitted the keel,,, so will revisit it tomorrow before I go any further,,, I assume you will be recording a log for your Victory,, I look forward to reading it

Many thanks

JT

Last edited:
This is a ship that I have had my eyes on a long time. It is good that I am able to see it in process. So, if you have not decided on the LED lighting, may I suggest Evans Designs. https://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/
They have an AD on front page of forum. I have used their LEDs and the pico size are incredibly small and bright - they have a few different colors from a warm yellowish to a bluer type. It depends on the application as to what size you need. If I remember the pico size are about 1/32 " square. The resistors are already built in so, you do not have to worry about that. Just supply like a 9vDC batt. I am sure that you know this, but wire all your LEDS in parallel and NOT in series.
I will enjoy watching your build.

Donnie

Many thanks for the comments and help folk....

Donnie.. I was looking at the Evans Designs,,, I already have the lightling I plan on inserting,, thenks

Charles,, thanks for the link to the HMS Vanguard log,,, a very good interesting article, I like how Arthur fitted the lights,,, this will definately influence my fitting, although I plan to making the lights look like the lanterns they would use in the ships

Jim

Hi guys

I'm looking for a couple of pieces of information,,,,,,

1. I'm looking for information on where the lights would be on the expterior of the ships,,,,

2. I've been looking but cannot find anywhere to buy 24lb cannons,,, anyone any idea where I might be able to get them

many thanks

Jim

May I ask what exterior (part of the ship) would you be referring to ? I can only think of sometimes a ship will have lanterns on the stern, but I can’t remember if the am Agamemnon has such. I am also uncertain about the deck too. Seems like there could be a light or several on the deck. Sorry I am not much help here.

Canons- you can ask @zoly99sask or @Uwek where to find the size you need.

Last edited:
First parts to be tested and glued into place were the 'Bow', Keel strips' and Rudder Post....

The ‘Bow’ was not a snug fit in the middle,, causing the part to be able to move up and down.. so whilst deciding what position was correct I decided to work from the Rudder post, this was a very good fit then I worked forward,, once the ‘Keel’ strips were fitted this showed the correct position (I hope) for the ‘Bow’

There was a gap of about 2mm that had to be corrected,, the top and bottom of the part fitted very well
View attachment 111853

and a small gap where the keel strips joined
View attachment 111854

All sorted,, I suspect these will be hidden anyway,, but i couldn't not fix them,, my inner nagging voice wouldn't let me

View attachment 111856

View attachment 111855View attachment 111859

I know that feeling. That nagging feeling. It's a pain sometime for sure but to be heeded.

Donnie

I'm looking for information on where the crew would have lanterns on the exterior of the ship,,, the two at the stern,, and anywhere else... I assume they would just have them where they were required

Did the ships ever have any lanterns on any of the masts

Donnie

I'm looking for information on where the crew would have lanterns on the exterior of the ship,,, the two at the stern,, and anywhere else... I assume they would just have them where they were required

Did the ships ever have any lanterns on any of the masts
Definitely no latern at the time of sailing ships on the mast - there was no air-traffic to warn.
But also elsewhere - The ships-crew was using open fire (and at the time of sailing ships, light was only possible with open fire laterns) only where is was definitely necessary, means inboard.
Fire was the biggest enemy on the ships, so really they kept laterns and fire to a minimum........
A lot of ships were lost because of fire from laterns

Many thanks Uwek,, that's a big help,, and saved the issue of trying to hide the cables...

Jim

Back