Build Log Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack [COMPLETED BUILD]

View attachment 290684
This was a pain in the ….. The turnbuckles in the kit are junk. I found some real ones at harbormodels.com and made this tensioner. It was not easy for me. I think I am going to make a wide pan to work in with these small parts. (I’m tired of sweeping the floor looking for parts. ) I also ground down some needle-nose and round-nose pliers to work with these small parts. Patients. Patients. Patients.
Good morning Duncan- it looks like your patience paid off. Thumbsup

Question. The directions say the the jib halyard goes through the block on the mainmast and then goes down and “temporarily” tied off to the Sampson post. Now the topping lift is also tied off to the Sampson post. Should the jib halyard now be tied off somewhere else or do both lines stay tied off to the Sampson post? Did I miss something in the directions?

Question. The directions say the the jib halyard goes through the block on the mainmast and then goes down and “temporarily” tied off to the Sampson post. Now the topping lift is also tied off to the Sampson post. Should the jib halyard now be tied off somewhere else or do both lines stay tied off to the Sampson post? Did I miss something in the directions?
I am surprised that there is not a cleat on the mast side to tie off the jib halyard. It would be very small as only a few figure--8 turn would be needed and then using reversed hitch around the top arm of the cleat the bitter end would loosely fall down the mast side to the deck. Just a recollection of a jib halyard from my long ago small boat racing in similar craft. Rich (PT-2)

AFC099A5-D556-4859-9AE1-D1C796E20BF9.jpeg
Well the jib is on. I removed the topping lift rope from the Sampson post leaving only the jib halyard and made a cleat from a piece of aluminum angle for topping lift rope. I’ll paint it later.
454825A0-DD8C-4532-9260-D1B36AF1880C.jpeg
All the rope lines are in place. Now what to do with the ends? The rope coils don’t look like a real boat to me so I’m going to try to make something more like what I would expect to see on my boat.

Last edited:
View attachment 291896
Well the jib is on. I removed the topping lift rope from the Sampson post leaving only the jib halyard and made a cleat from a piece of aluminum angle for topping lift rope. I’ll paint it later.
View attachment 291897
All the rope lines are in place. Now what to do with the ends? The rope coils don’t look like a real boat to me so I’m going to try to make something more like what I would expect to see on my boat.
If you were racing the ends of the lines would have been "dropped in place" Between races the crew would sort them out in a neat loose coil and not in circular coils that we see when the boat is being stored. How you want to present those will be related to how you see things. With the sails up I would expect the crew is aboard and sailing so the dropped in place would be more accurate.
If you are social sailing then you may have them more neatly stored but remember when tacking or gybing they need to be loose and in a readily accessible manner. Just some recollections from my past years of racing as well as some social outings. Rich (PT-2)

Well it is finished. With the exception of the mounting. (That is drying in the shop.) I learned a lot with this build. Now I am ready for the Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner. The work bench is clean and the tools are in place. Thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement with the Lobster Smack build.
077DDAD6-9AD7-451A-9C0E-82305AB1313F.jpeg

4E9EDEF5-6A95-475A-BAC7-4B71DB94EA7D.jpegA8E13B8A-3F5D-4F5A-BCDF-6DFAD27FB84B.jpeg
B9C6011E-B125-4E19-A272-7935CDF38203.jpeg1DD2D75E-102C-41C2-A36E-7C91314BAB63.jpeg

7F7DFFEC-F231-49EE-8BEA-8404D9C359A5.jpeg

Congratulations from my side - very well made model
I am looking forward to see and follow your new project

Nice model with crisp detailing. Your time was well spent building hours of memories.
Rich (PT-2)
I left model building to reengage in precision pistol shooting and reloading as every month age brings increasing arm/hand instability for single hand longer range shooting. Somewhere in the future I may return to model boats when you have continued forward in your own course. Enjoy the future.

Back