Build Log Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack [COMPLETED BUILD]

CA with what I call a hummingbird applicator acts like a spot weld if I I keep the drop very very small. If the connection is not right I can easily break it and make a correction. If it is ok then I can finish the weld along the full length of the connection.
that "humming bird" tack weld is a good idea for me to remember. It serves you well as you progress. Rich

CA with what I call a hummingbird applicator acts like a spot weld if I I keep the drop very very small. If the connection is not right I can easily break it and make a correction. If it is ok then I can finish the weld along the full length of the connection.
Hello Duncan. Enjoying your build thus far and think they way you are approaching the bulkhead fit and supports is great. I also use the “spot weld” with CA glue principle. Used it for my planking as well rather than nails. Being a beginner I’m not sure if this a the best technique (guys and ladies on this site will know for sure) but worked for me. Enjoy your buildThumbsup

Looking good. Am enjoying watching your progress. You have some ideas that I wish I'd thought of as I was working on mine. And yes, paint the cockpit area while you have free access to it. It can be a pain to work in areas like that once they are covered up (even if all you are doing is some touch-up).

I'm watching with interest as I have this sitting on a shelf. I'll be starting as soon as I finish The Norwegian Sailing Pram.

Some decking for the deck. I used a straight V-profile chisel. Not sure how this will look later. I think I will put a coat of finish on it before I glue it to the bulkheads. If it looks bad I can flip them over before5F477F5C-4A25-4215-B3E2-CF454C07EDE4.jpeg gluing. (they are the mirror image of each other) I got the hang of using the tool after awhile. Might have to put a coil of rope in a couple of places.

The deck is glued in place and all the heavy sanding of the bulkheads to receive the planking is finished. (I hope) I sealed, with polyurethane, all the surfaces that will not be glued to or painted . The reason is I have seen basswood really bend when you put water on one side. What will high humidity do to the model when it is finished?
AA743E2C-BB83-4700-BB3E-8CAA3E6492BA.jpeg

Started the planking. After bending and fitting I glued the garboards in place with CA. I like using CA because I can clamp the plank in place and when everything is right then glue it. The instructions with the kit says to use white glue. Is there a problem with CA for planking that I don’t know about?

In Shipbuilding Simplified, Mastini recommends both. Wood glue to get a solid bond and dots of CA to hold the planks in place while the wood glue sets

You could probably start an entire thread on the subject of adhesives ;)

My own experience is that CA tends to get brittle with age and have a tendency to let go after time, especially when dealing with wood whose dimensional stability it subject to fluctuations in humidity. PVA/wood glue will flex slightly, but CA will not.

For me CA works fine for structural work (fixing bulkheads to keel, etc.) where subsequent work of planking will keep everything rigid and stable, but for planking I like PVA as my primary bonder. This is especially true if you haven’t been able to perfectly bend the planks to shape before applying them.

Now, I should remind you that I’m still very new to this hobby and what I offer is my opinion (In aviation we would say, “technique only; not procedure”) I think you’ll want the opinion of others with more experience than I.

Well I have learned a lesson with CA. You can’t always see where the little drop wants to flow. This is the second time I got some glue on the center board. This time I could not free it. Oh well it’s an optional feature and this is a learning build. I’m a little discouraged but I will have to move on from here.
Planking is going well. Each plank needs a little adjustment.
F7C3266A-5C78-45C0-BE9F-D3CAB0B1EB41.jpeg

Sorry to hear about your recalcitrant centerboard. I had issues with mine sticking as well.

Planking appears to be coming along nicely. Please keep us posted on how that progresses.

Well I have learned a lesson with CA. You can’t always see where the little drop wants to flow. This is the second time I got some glue on the center board. This time I could not free it. Oh well it’s an optional feature and this is a learning build. I’m a little discouraged but I will have to move on from here.
Planking is going well. Each plank needs a little adjustment.
View attachment 277113
I think that the warning tag on the vise really means to say" this hobby can get expensive with all of the tools and toys that will be acquired!"
Nice progress.
;) Rich

Well the sheer strakes are glued. That means that the hull is finished. I don’t think so. There is yet a lot of filling and sanding to do. It is very relaxing, just sitting and sanding.
D252648C-1DE0-44A5-AE90-B6FF690BEAFA.jpeg
The sheer strakes could be a little wider and longer for that matter. I choose to glue this sheer strake level with the deck and fill the gap lower on the hull.
85C423F5-5086-42A8-8848-907D087B7200.jpeg

Back