Build Log NCC (Navy-Curtis Craft) HMS Bounty Launch Model Shipways 1:16 Scale POF [COMPLETED BUILD]

BMT

I have been spoiled on the model shipways shipwright series, and the building instructions of OcCre’s Palamos were extremely clear.

After sourcing build logs ( thanks, Kurt), B. Lankford’s How to Build First-Rate Ship Models, and to review the building instructions of the Bounty Launch, I feel I have a better understanding of this build.

Cutting the rabbit went better than I thought it would.

I am starting to assemble the building jig, but I am unsure ifs need to glue the stiffening struts.

A few photos are attached; I will keep updating them as I continue.

BMT
tempImageuNKnsK.pngtempImagegoFy55.pngtempImageSjmBof.pngtempImageL80Pgo.pngtempImage8Ysr9w.pngtempImage8W5vNM.pngtempImagerKy0cj.png

Jig was not a problem, but I did split #1 as I fitted the stem alignment blocks. Nothing a little glue could not fix.

On to bending on the frames! I decided to do the starboard side first because it was facing me. I cut the cherry stock into 4-1/2-inch lengths, tossed them in boiling water, and let them soak for 20 minutes.

The instructions called for twisting the frame pieces as they moved down the mold. All the blogs I'm following on the site didn't show any twisting of cherry wood. So I didn't twist the wood… we'll see what difference it makes, and will I have to do some fairing???

Let it dry, and finish the Portside in the morning.

PS I am happy I got another box of clamps…

tempImageNj0xta.png

tempImageG4MeSa.png

tempImagewxgnpp.png

tempImage3azPAt.png

tempImageojfEzz.png

Finished bending the frames on both sides.

Lost five frame pieces as they just split as I was bending.

Let them dry overnight looks like tomorrow. It was in spot sanding don’t think I’ll get me planking.

Still never enough clamps!

BMT

6D15045D-A59B-4FBE-876C-25CB0BD3000A.jpeg

64427C85-AF70-4944-9325-D5C86938A83E.jpeg

I returned from a week at a soccer event and finished one side of the planking.

The photos show several gaps; what can I have done differently not to have these gaps, especially the one with the bow?

Also, what is the best filler/putty to use? In others, I used Elmer's wood filler in the tube.

Thanks,

tempImageBcvq2U.pngtempImageOyFEXD.pngtempImagerlh2CQ.pngtempImagep9xSGp.pngBMT

The finished planking. Next, fit the tween and can frames.

The learning experience for me here is more glue as the sheer plank became detached from the ribs as I was placing tween frames.
Once I get the frames in place will finish the sheer clamps it’ll be time to finish the hill.

IMG_3877.jpegIMG_3876.jpeg

The hull has been sanded, and waiting for the primer.

Finish staining the interior with Behr English Chestnut water-based stain. Bad choice.!

As the photo show, even after mixing and mixing and mixing it, it was very watery. I like the color more than I like the way it went on. Looks kind of rustic.

BMT

IMG_3888.jpeg

IMG_3900.jpeg

IMG_3886.jpeg

IMG_3885.jpeg

IMG_3896.jpeg

IMG_3894.jpeg

Complete other than the sails. A good learning experience on planking, sanding, filling the gaps, and staining (water vs. oil base) the interior.

I would have liked the enclosed assembly instructions to be in color, as I found online.

Occre Work Stand was a valuable tool for me.

Anyway, I will finish up the sails I will be rolling and place in the boat.

The next project for NCC (Navy-Curtis Craft) may be D016 Dusek Maria HF31 German Fishing Ewer, USCG Harriet Lane Steam Paddle, or the Midwest Sea Bright Dory.

Thanks, everyone, for your support on this project.

BMT

PS: how do I mark this in the title as complete?

tempImagejHRpBE.pngtempImageAOVLi2.pngtempImage38iuFk.pngtempImagelnKhkg.pngtempImage0eX4fC.pngtempImagekI2EOk.pngtempImagehj8h1p.pngtempImageCpc3W5.png

Congratulations from my side - you made a fine model
title is changed

Thank you for your kind words and for noting completed build.

BMT

Back