Nuestra Senora del Pilar by Occre - Build log

Next up - printed deadeyes. I drew up a deadeye, fairly plain, in Fusion 360 and will try printing maybe 10 to see how it goes. This is a 5mm deadeye and can be improved upon, design-wise but baby steps...still learning this stuff. Currently I am waiting for Amazon delivery to bring me a new bottle of resin that is colored and not slate gray. I'll post pics once I get them printed. Note that the deadeyes that came with my Nuestra del Pilar model are plastic. Fun stuff!

View attachment 421234View attachment 421235
Here are pics of my try at printing deadeyes. 5mm diameter.And I changed to a "beige" resin (ABS resin) to try to get closer to a wood-like color - it'll help when I paint them. They were printed on an angle and on supports. The angle helps drain any liquid resin ( I hope).....i then went ahead and printed about 300 for fun!20240124_130555.jpg20240124_130544.jpg20240124_130536.jpg

I've printed on my new printer only twice (so may things happening, Life). Beautiful. I went with the Elegoo Saturn3 (plain). I have worse than no wifi, and you have to go to the machine for resin, etc. anyway. I don't need blazing speed (especially for the extra $$$). It's wonderful. But the Sat3/Ultra and Anycubic M5/s are all excellent, you'll be happy with either!

I think I replied to the wrong thread and forgot to say, the dead eyes look great. I just got similar drill bits, standard shank narrowing to the cutting part, they work great. So much better than tiny bits that snap.

I think I replied to the wrong thread and forgot to say, the dead eyes look great. I just got similar drill bits, standard shank narrowing to the cutting part, they work great. So much better than tiny bits that snap.
Where did you get those drill bits? All the ones I have break easily.

Oh boy. I had a lot of catching up to do now. You are turning into quite the man with that 3D printer, Phil. As I have absolutely no knowledge on the subject, nor will I ever, all I can say is that cannon looks absolutely beautiful. And with the number of barrel-only cannons you have to install; it makes perfect sense.

I think I got my bits at an online shop, but those Amazon will do. The are most excellent. The standard shank really helps. I also got a new pin vise with a chuck that takes standard shanks (and is easier to use): pin vise link

71wWYUDsKtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks for sharing! I am thinking about building this ship next after mercedes from occre as well.
How do you simulate deck nailing? It looks good

Congrats! I have an Ender 3 variation (they make about 8 or 10 now!). It's a good size print bed and easy t learn on. One day though, you'll want to get a resin, too - just so much detail! Have fun and try out the free stl files while you learn 3D design. (Cults3d, Yeggi, etc.)
Hallo @Rokket
We wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
@Philski - sorry to use your log for th egreetings - hope it is ok for you

Looks good! Yes, the adjustable chuck is much, much better than collets. One of the best bits (parts) is standard shank (3+mm) and those bits that are standard shank but thin down.

Good hole drilling!

Back