Nuestra Senora del Pilar by Occre - Build log

Build Log: Nuestra Senora del Pilar (OcCre):

A quick update to my build log. I have reached the point in the build that a lot of surfaces will need finishes or coatings. The instructions indicate that from here on out in the build, painting and finishing will be necessary as I proceed. So, I decided to coat the lower hull first. For this, I am using a brushing lacquer (semi-gloss) as a sealer. What I am picturing here is the first coat on the port side only. Now it has to dry 2 hours before I do the starboard side. Then on to some acrylic application to the railings and rub rails. We'll see how it goes. A couple of pictures for your review.

View attachment 295029View attachment 295030
Looks great Philski! ;)

Great work Phil. Your hull looks fantastic. Normally I'm not a fan of anything "shiny" but on the big lady it worked very well and provided you with a nice deep luster!

Build Log: Nuestra Senora del Pilar (OcCre)
Update - started to add color. Plans called for yellow. So that's what I added. It's necessary at this point to consider that just about everything from here on out will have to be painted/varnished. I am using acrylics for color. It seems to perform OK. I may use enamels if needed, especially on the cannons and other metal parts.

Next up, black for the rub strakes, railings and some planking.

Pictures shown for your review.
View attachment 295500View attachment 295501View attachment 295502
Looking good Phil.Thumbsup

Wow - that is looking super-good Phil. On the last picture (three-quarter front view), I just love the robust-look of the railings - solid and substantial!

Looking good Philski! She’s really taking shape now! I agree to using the steel wool on the hull. Will give you a nice satin or matte finish. War ships weren’t shiny like furniture! ;)

My friend you are building a stunning ship! Grant is correct in saying that the black looks fabulous and you are working up a beautiful contrast between the black, red and yellow. Add the natural woodgrain color and you are on your way to something special here. Well done!

Back