Nuestra Senora del Pilar by Occre - Build log

Beautiful work Phil. Those side galleries are some of the "cleanest" -executed ones I have seen while the dab of blue below the windows, add incredible depth to the side galleries. She is coming along beautifully - well done!

Build Log: Nuestra Senora del Pilar (OcCre)

Update.
The stern/castle/quarters are coming along. I had installed 3 little lights (windows/ports) as instructed by gluing to the external bulkhead. I decided I didn't like the look, so I removed them, carved out openings for all three, painted in the interior red, then re-glued the windows on place. Also added the upper castle windows, molding around the windows (because to me the flat brass etchings just didn't look right) and added gold and blue paints. I left the half-round moldings coming off the back a little long so as to be able to miter in the cross pieces once I get there.

I also painted the long moldings down the sides with Watco Danish Oil (Natural) to darken them. Some of the plans show them painted yellow, some show them painted gold. I'll leave them natural Sapele.

Will start on the starboard side tomorrow, doing the same thing as the port side. Then will add detail and structure to the stern.

Pictures of my progress are attached.View attachment 303841View attachment 303842View attachment 303843View attachment 303844View attachment 303845View attachment 303846
Phil- That is really good!

The craft is very beautiful. The finish is totally different from mine.
You are a craftsman of model sailboats.
Your skills are amazing.:eek:Thumbs-Up

Hi Phil,
Today's post sent me back into your build log to post #221. What do you think of the orientation of the balusters? Everything about these quarter galleries angles back except the balusters under the rail. I have to assume this is how it is shown on the plans but it just doesn't look right to me. Or is it just the angle created by the camera angle? Maybe angling the balusters back would even look worse??? Your thoughts?

I thought the balusters might look better if they were angled with a rake towards the rear but find there is little to no room to do so. The instructions do not show nor the procedures mention changing the baluster angles. I am posting a pic here from the manual and another of the port side (unglued as yet) to show the spacing and room available. Fitting 8 balusters per the instructions takes up all the space. What are your thoughts?
Hello Phil. They would not only fit but I think would look better if you could shorten them. Maybe make the top railing thinner and take a tiny bit off each Pilar top and bottom- like a shaving? I’m not sure so much work would reap the reward tho. Cheers Grant

Hey, what do you think if you cut them in two halves and use the half only, This way they will look a bit smaller (the actual ones are a bit oversize, IMHO). Also, this will make the 'foot' stays on the even surface instead of extending in the air.

Hello Phil. I agree completely on the brass pins as an extra means of securing items with little gluing area. With regards to the balusters - I have learnt that pictures sometimes greatly distort angles on the side galleries. Judging by the pictures, I would hate to make a call on those. Looking at your build so far I have every bit of confidence that you will make the correct decision.

Hey, what do you think if you cut them in two halves and use the half only, This way they will look a bit smaller (the actual ones are a bit oversize, IMHO). Also, this will make the 'foot' stays on the even surface instead of extending in the air.
I agree with Jimsky that the feet must not be in the air. I like this idea because it will give added depth.

I am already sanding the backsides to do just what you suggest. I'll sand them down with a rotary tool before installing. Great idea!
One more suggestion, if you don't mind, make a curved molding on top of the windows, this will also be the floor for those pillars, It should add to the windows and make the pillars foot stand on.

Back