Nuestra Senora del Pilar by Occre - Build log

Today, added hull bracing and to the remainder of the bulkheads (15,16,& 17) per the instructions. Its going to be big! Its going to be heavy! Bracing was cut to length and installed through the laser cut openings through each bulkhead. Required 4 braces each cut to 280mm installed from front and back (fore and aft) and butt jointed together between bulkheads 8 and 9. Glued as a butt joint with Titebond Gel CA. Then glued at each bulkhead front and rear with Zap a Gap CA. Sprayed a little accelerator as needed.

View attachment 271129View attachment 271130View attachment 271131View attachment 271132View attachment 271133View attachment 271134View attachment 271135View attachment 271136
Looking good.

My apologies for just now responding to your thread.

OcCre is a very good kit (in my opinion). I found that the mast and yard rigging (blocks placement) was very well laid out and easy to follow. I think you are doing very well with this construction. Just please confirm before you go any further that your hull frame is nice and straight and as square as you can. You also might can flip your hull upside down on your bench as you can also see if the tips of the bulkheads are at equal distance to the bench (if this makes sense).
The reason is that errors have this uncanny way of "accumulating" as the build progresses like the planking. And speaking of planking the hull. Please do each side ALTERNATING. I am sure you know this.
Sometimes builders will plank up the entire ONE SIDE of the hull and the planks seems to PULL the hull off to one side. That is unless you have a JIG that you can put your hull in upside down while you plank.
I wanted to buy this kit a long time ago. However, at the time that I wanted it (strangely) that OcCre had this "Club Members Only" that this kit was offered to. I am not sure if they still have this "Club only thing" going, but that really put a dent in me buying it. Now, I see that the kit is for sale for everyone. You really picked out a good one and this will turn out to be a showcase for sure.

Donald

Yes, with Single Planking - definitely alternate sides. Some people start at Wales and go to the Keel and some do it the other way from Keel to Wales. Some swear by the fact that you should start with the Garboard Plank (which is located right next to the Keel) and start there. Either way is fine.

Adding the lower gunport openings - this includes making rear (inside covers. Most of these lower ports on get cannon barrels inserted with a pin. I added extra wood (balsa) to back up the covers to add support when the cannons are glued in place. I also painted and pre-drilled the covers to accept the cannon barrels before gluing them in the hull.Nuestra_172.jpgNuestra_173.jpgNuestra_174.jpgNuestra_175.jpgNuestra_176.jpgNuestra_177.jpgNuestra_178.jpgNuestra_179.jpgNuestra_180.jpgNuestra_182.jpgNuestra_183.jpgNuestra_184.jpgNuestra_204.jpgNuestra_205.jpg

Last edited:
Completed planking the left and right main deck sections. Yet to be sanded. Considering adding nails. Maybe with ink.

View attachment 272172View attachment 272173
Interesting, I’ve never planked a deck sheet prior to installation. I guess because inevitably they have to be adjusted, in which case you would have gaps at the frames where the slots are. I assume you test fit them prior to planking?

My apologies for just now responding to your thread.

OcCre is a very good kit (in my opinion). I found that the mast and yard rigging (blocks placement) was very well laid out and easy to follow. I think you are doing very well with this construction. Just please confirm before you go any further that your hull frame is nice and straight and as square as you can. You also might can flip your hull upside down on your bench as you can also see if the tips of the bulkheads are at equal distance to the bench (if this makes sense).
The reason is that errors have this uncanny way of "accumulating" as the build progresses like the planking. And speaking of planking the hull. Please do each side ALTERNATING. I am sure you know this.
Sometimes builders will plank up the entire ONE SIDE of the hull and the planks seems to PULL the hull off to one side. That is unless you have a JIG that you can put your hull in upside down while you plank.
I wanted to buy this kit a long time ago. However, at the time that I wanted it (strangely) that OcCre had this "Club Members Only" that this kit was offered to. I am not sure if they still have this "Club only thing" going, but that really put a dent in me buying it. Now, I see that the kit is for sale for everyone. You really picked out a good one and this will turn out to be a showcase for sure.

Donald
Hi Donnie, I've just ordered this kit from Cornwall model boats, cost me £372.41 with free postage. Having seen the massive mark-up you guys have been charged with, I reckon it would be worth getting a quote from CMB, don't you think? 20% VAT would be discounted from this. In my railroad modelling days from 1999 too 2018 (the end of the 'good-old days?) I bought the majority of my rolling stock from the US, saving me ££$$£$'s. Even when customs picked the occasional parcel to charge the VAT (and Royal Mail added their 'rip-off' charge) the prices were still less than here in UK. When I sold up my collection I reckoned to have made a profit. I'm glad I did it then as it would now have been a 'right pain in the a** ', as about 50% of it went to mainland Europe, some to Greece & one loco to Brazil.
Now got to finish Beagle & Le Superbe before starting "Our Lady"(of the pillar) AND I've got Santisima Trinidad to do!

Stuart

Hi Donnie, I've just ordered this kit from Cornwall model boats, cost me £372.41 with free postage. Having seen the massive mark-up you guys have been charged with, I reckon it would be worth getting a quote from CMB, don't you think? 20% VAT would be discounted from this. In my railroad modelling days from 1999 too 2018 (the end of the 'good-old days?) I bought the majority of my rolling stock from the US, saving me ££$$£$'s. Even when customs picked the occasional parcel to charge the VAT (and Royal Mail added their 'rip-off' charge) the prices were still less than here in UK. When I sold up my collection I reckoned to have made a profit. I'm glad I did it then as it would now have been a 'right pain in the a** ', as about 50% of it went to mainland Europe, some to Greece & one loco to Brazil.
Now got to finish Beagle & Le Superbe before starting "Our Lady"(of the pillar) AND I've got Santisima Trinidad to do!

Stuart
yup. i can proudly confirm that I am one of the suckers that spent too much on the Santisima Trinidad as well. :(

This method is called for in the instructions from OcCre. The deck halves will require some edge sanding to fit properly.
View attachment 272243
Right, I understand they may tell you to do it that way…but if one of the slots doesn’t line up with a frame properly, and then has to be widened to fit, then you have a gap! If you plank after installing the deck sheet, any gaps from making adjustments will be covered with planks. Anyway, I hope you don’t need to make any adjustments! ;)

I am building that model also, but due to health issues the building is stopped for some time now. Hoping to resume it soon. It is a good model, but I made some changes namely to the cannon ports. You can see it here:
It is a good model, but not a very good, though. It can be improved.

JL

Continued work on the NS del Pilar. Today installed main deck. Both halves. Glued in place with CA. Had to do some sanding once the deck was mounted. I did not add a finish such as Danish Oil. I am contemplating it and the instruction call for oil but I'd rather not if it is going to interfere with later installation of parts,.View attachment 272278

First half installed.View attachment 272279
2nd Half of the deck installed.View attachment 272281
view below deckView attachment 272282
Main deck sanded. Very thin veneer so I didn't go crazy with the sanding.View attachment 272284
Close up of decking. Sapele veneer. No nails added at this point.
Looks like the deck sheets fit very well at the notches! That’s rare! Occre does make good kits in my opinion. ;)

Back