Nuestra Senora del Pilar by Occre - Build log

Planking is my nemesis…. I don’t know if I could single plank a bluff bow ship like that, are you using the lining off method or just tapering and stealers as you go?

That looks excellent Phil - I particularly like the first shot from the rear which shows both planked sides from the stern. Thumbsup

Build Log: Nuestra Senora del Pilar (OcCre)

Continuing with planking the upper hull. LOTS of sanding. The entire assembly so far is being accomplished with Titebond Medium CA and Zap A Gap Medium CA (which is still quite thin).
Added Sapele to the planking. It is harder by far than the Lime wood supplied. I have most of the port side done and added planks to the starboard side today,. The Starboard side has not been sanded nearly as much as the Port side. Next will be to sand the Starboard side, do some shaping to accept the upcoming railings and shape the bow too. Then more sanding with much finer grits for a smooth finish. Dust EVERYWHERE!

Attached are pics for your review.

View attachment 282620View attachment 282621View attachment 282622View attachment 282623View attachment 282624View attachment 282625
“Wooo hooo” looking good Phil.

Welcome to the dark world of single-planking, Phil! I have no doubt that you will make a big success of it. Your preparations have been exemplary and patience ... well, with a single-layer planked hull, that is just a necessity - not a luxury.

Great progress, and accurate work, Phill. Single planking technics are not forgiving and require some patience while preparing each plank before gluing to the hull. Looks like you 'nailed' the method and feel assured and comfortable with it. Also, you are a fast builder. :cool:

Thanks, Jim. This is my first time with single planking and it is daunting. I dry-fit each plank as I go to try to insure a tight fit before gluing. I think its going to get much more intricate when I get lower on the hull.
Have you checked Olga's presentation, on how she calculated each plank size?

Back