Nuestra Senora del Pilar by Occre - Build log

Your planking is coming along very nicely Phil. I really like the color of the sapele wood.

Steady as she goes Phil! The planking looks great so far. key points here are not to rush anything or take any shortcuts. I would put down another three or four planks on starboard and would then seriously consider putting down the keel and doing the garboard strake and its adjacent neighbor. That would just give you a much better visual line of the planking to follow.

Buon consiglio signore! Ho pensato di aggiungere anche la chiglia. Ho anche pensato di aggiungere delle sottili strisce di nastro adesivo lungo lo scafo per aiutare a visualizzare il posizionamento del fasciame. Non ho fretta e sto cercando di adattare correttamente ogni tavola.
Buongiorno Philski , non hai provato ha fare la battura sulla chiglia per l'inserimento del fasciame?

Your planking looks really good Phil - especially at the bow and stern which are the notoriously risky and tricky areas. As far as the garboard strake goes: whether it was in reality a wider plank or not, I have no idea, nor do I think it really matters in the real word of modelbuilding. On the Willem Barentsz and my Batavia builds, the garboard strake is a normal width plank that is mounted directly next to the keel. Typically on a POB build, the garboard strake will run from (approximately) the second bulkhead through to the stern. The main characteristics of the garboard strake are the facts that it needs to be tapered quite strongly at the bow and goes through an (approximate again) 90 degree bend as it approaches the stern.

微信图片_20211229102829.jpg
Here you can see the garboard strake and its immediate adjacent neighbor on the WB. If you look at my build log, I show what I did (and what Kolderstok advises) to obtain the correct taper at the bow.

Beautiful, beautiful and Phil! :) Just look at the color of that hull - well done Phil!

Back