Nuestra Senora del Pilar by Occre - Build log

Looks awesome Phil, I was wondering how you were going to negotiate that bluff bow without more tapering but it turned out great!

That looks very good Phil! I am sure that all those little "flaws" (I am sure they are almost invisible) will easily be rectified. :)

Planking the keel makes a HUGE difference to the overall beauty of the ship! Rome was not built in a day so one step at a time is the way to do it!

Build Log Nuestra Senora del Pilar (OcCre):

Plodding along working on the hull. Planking the Rub strakes and then planking the keel. I decided when planking the keel to use thinner stock than any of that supplied by OcCre in the kit. I ripped some Sapele to 1mm thickness to do this. The lumber is also 6mm vs 5mm supplied for planking. There wasn't any specific information in the kit instructions on methods to use so I went with my own version. Works for me!

Rub strakes installed along the entire hull were 2mm x 5mm Sapele. Lots of sanding yet to do and some patching and filling where necessary. It's coming along.

View attachment 292789View attachment 292790View attachment 292791View attachment 292792View attachment 292793View attachment 292794View attachment 292795View attachment 292796View attachment 292797View attachment 292798View attachment 292799
Good morning Phil.....”plodding” great rub strakes Thumbsup. Your rub strakes follow the line of your hull lovely- I found this difficult and redid them more than once.....Oh - Your strake pattern on your hull planking makes a massive difference Phil. I enjoy the fact that they are not just one strake all the way across the length of the hull. Nice one. Cheers Grant

Hello Phil. I am very glad that you want to do something special with your catheads. They are a focal point (in my opinion) and how the sheaves fit into their respective slots is often a dead-giveaway when attention to detail is lacking. The rest of the build is progressing nicely ... take your time and do every little section as well as you can!

I echo that. I think you can be very happy with how that turned out. Abrasive cord - now I have learnt something new yet again! Great idea! Thumbsup

Build Log: Nuestra Senora dele Pilar (OcCre)

Continuing my ship...albeit slowly. At this stage, I needed to construct 2 catheads for the anchors before continuing with the railings. These will be fashioned out of 7mm x 7mm stock. The plans called for Sapele. So I tried to make them by hand out of the stock supplied with the model. The Sapele supplied is very open-grained and coarse, so carving them was certainly problematic. After doing one from the mahogany-like wood, I decided to make them out of hard maple from my home stock. I like the results better. It certainly was a learning experience. I do have some abrasive cord coming tomorrow from Amazon to allow me to smooth and sand the simulated sheaves. Pictures attached for your perusal....

View attachment 294546View attachment 294547View attachment 294548View attachment 294549View attachment 294550View attachment 294551
Applause.....Phil. Really good. I do like the maple one the best. Cheers

Back