Nuestra Senora del Pilar by Occre - Build log

A very thoughtful and useful gift from your wife Phil. I know a few other modellers on SOS have one too. It looks like a great device for the larger models. I’ll have to print out your second photo and leave copies all around the house :D.

Build Log Nuestra Senora del Pilar (OcCre):
Quick update: I received my birthday gift from my wife - a lift table to allow me to reach the masts and yards on this behemoth. Assembled it today and modified it to use for ship building (its a motorcycle lift actually). I added a plywood top with a new cutting mat. Should work well. Goes from 13" up to 33" so I should be able to reach the yards and masts nicely!

View attachment 306715View attachment 306716View attachment 306717View attachment 306718
Good morning Phil- a very clever Lady and an ingenious way to make a lift stand for rigging. I have 2 of those in my garage (got bikes on and a little old) - I may just “plagiarise” this;). Cheers Grant

Indeed, I also own that book - the dutch edition. Years ago I borrowd it several times from our public library but it covers a lot of information so i decided to buy it.

It will certainly prevent me from making too many mistakes by mixing building methods from diffetent periods and regions.

View attachment 306290
私も、所有している愛読書です。

You are making very good progress Phil. These finishing items take a long time so don't rush it. I like how you have applied a combination of things to make those balusters fit so nicely. Well done on that tricky part.

Good progress - as per usual - Phil. Take your time - no rush.

Build Log: Nuestra Senora del Pilar (OcCre)

Continuing building in the stern. putting in half-round moldings, putting some color in place and getting some of the metal 'sculptures' painted too. Added the rear railing with 20 stancions. I inserted brass pins in each one to help with strength. Added a bit of filler as needed to shape things nicely. Next up, getting some gold paint in place then on to the upper poop decking. It is slow going with it being spring here and the weather warming up. Have alot of outside work in the yard and swimming pool to get everything ready for summer. Additionally, my grand daughter graduated with her Master's Degree from University of Pennsylvania!
Please post any questions or suggestions as you may see fit.

View attachment 309109View attachment 309110View attachment 309111View attachment 309112View attachment 309114View attachment 309115
Good morning Phil. Firstly congratulations to your granddaughter- masters is no easy feat so well done. The stern is starting to look awesome. I love the blue (maybe personal taste) as its sets a fantastic deep contrast. I don’t know if you reduced the railings however what I see all looks in proportion. It’s funny how it’s always the stern which can make or break a ship- nice Phil. Cheers Grant

It is great to see you aback at the bench Phil. The stanchions came out really well and blend in beautifully with the red sections of the inner bulwarks.

Back